Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0
WICHITA, Kan. - Mitch Gillam stopped 32 shots to claim his seventh-career shutout en route to a 3-0 win for Wichita over Utah on Friday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Jason Salvaggio scored twice while three others collected points in the winning effort.
Salvaggio opened the scoring in the first when he found the puck in the neutral zone and started an odd-man break. He fired a wrist shot past the blocker of Mason McDonald to give the Thunder a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.
Both teams played strong defensively with very little offense either way in the second. Gillam stopped 14 shots in the second period to keep the score 1-0 with one period to play.
The Thunder killed off a penalty after Jacob Graves was called for slashing at 11:34 in the final frame. The goaltenders held strong until the final minutes when McDonald headed to the bench in favor of the extra attacker. The Thunder added two empty-net goals to push the lead to 3-0 as Salvaggio and Spencer Dorowicz scored.
Wichita collected its first shutout of the season by one of its netminders. Salvaggio has goals in three-straight with four over that span and goals in four of his last five outings. Shaquille Merasty, Chris Crane and Fabrizio Ricci each collected helpers
The Thunder remains at home tomorrow night to host the Kansas City Mavericks for #ILOVEWICHITA Night starting at 7:05 p.m.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2020
- Quenneville Ties History as Rush Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Rally to Earn Point, But Fall to Indy in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Gain a Point against West's Best in Texas - Kalamazoo Wings
- Christopher Brown Recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Rip 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Big Third Period Pushes Greenville Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn First Shootout Win over Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Unable to Complete Comeback in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Stifle Rays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Drop Third Straight One Goal Game - Maine Mariners
- Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in 3-2 Home Win over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Toronto Marlies Sign Growlers Goaltender Parker Gahagen to AHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Brings Back Merasty - Wichita Thunder
- Jimmy Huntington Reassigned to Syracuse Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Officials Named for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Officials Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Royals Conclude First Half with Country Night Matchup against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Weekend Preview: Growlers VS Maine & Worcester - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.