Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Idaho Steelheads (21-12-5) converted twice on the power play including the game-winner as they came out with a 3-2 win over the Fort Wayne Komets (17-13-5) on Friday night from the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.
The Steelheads overpowered the Komets in the first period; however the home side took the lone goal of the frame. At 15:10, a turnover forced deep in the Steelheads defensive end led to a centering attempt by Komets forward Anthony Petruzzelli for the opening goal and the 1-0 lead.
The Komets combined for six power plays allowed in the first two periods, and it was the final of those six attempts that helped the Steelheads even the scoreline. Forward Conner Bleackley waited off the left post for a rebound coming from a blue line shot by forward Marc-Olivier Roy to bounce to his stick for a one-time attempt on the power play at 16:48 of the second period, leveling the score at 1-1.
A second tally by Bleackley led off the third period at 2:40 on a re-direction in front of the net initiated by defenseman Tanner Jago to edge ahead, 2-1. The Komets answered back on their next power play on another Petruzzelli tally at 5:11 to draw even at 2-2. Steelheads defenseman Jeff King drew a power play just moments later and cashed in by scoring the go-ahead goal, 3-2, at 5:37 on a shot from the blue line through a screen at 5:37. The Steelheads held off the Komets for the rest of the night in the 3-2 win.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (16-5-4) denied 17 of 19 shots in the win, while Komets netminder Patrick Munson (5-2-1) halted 31 of 34 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads close their six-game road trip on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 3:05 p.m. MT from the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. MT on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" and ECHL.tv.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 15 at 7:10 p.m. against the Tulsa Oilers. The Hockey Starter Pack provides the benefits of the ultimate fan on the time you want! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2020
- Quenneville Ties History as Rush Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Rally to Earn Point, But Fall to Indy in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Gain a Point against West's Best in Texas - Kalamazoo Wings
- Christopher Brown Recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Blanks Grizzlies, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Rip 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Power Play Goals Lead Steelheads to 3-2 Road Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Big Third Period Pushes Greenville Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn First Shootout Win over Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Unable to Complete Comeback in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Stifle Rays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Drop Third Straight One Goal Game - Maine Mariners
- Royals Pour 44 Shots on Nailers for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Growlers Battle Harsh Travel and Hold off the Mariners 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in 3-2 Home Win over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Put 48 Shots on Net But Drop 3-2 Decision to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Toronto Marlies Sign Growlers Goaltender Parker Gahagen to AHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Brings Back Merasty - Wichita Thunder
- Jimmy Huntington Reassigned to Syracuse Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Officials Named for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Officials Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Royals Conclude First Half with Country Night Matchup against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Weekend Preview: Growlers VS Maine & Worcester - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.