Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4
Oklahoma City - Carter Kieboom's RBI single to right field tied Sunday's game at Oklahoma City 4-4 in the top of the ninth inning, before the Fresno Grizzlies (32-31) took the lead on a Yadiel Hernandez RBI fielder's choice and hung on to defeat the Oklahoma City Dodgers (23-39) at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The Grizzlies, enjoying a 4-2 road trip, have taken the first three games at OKC and will try for the sweep on Monday. For Fresno, Sunday was their sixth win of 2019 when trailing after six innings, their fourth when trailing after seven, and their first when trailing after eight frames.
For the third straight game in the third inning, OKC outfielder Zach Reks homered. The two-run shot made it 4-0 Dodgers and marked the first time in Reks's career he'd homered in three consecutive games. Shane Peterson's sac fly (first inning) and Errol Robinson's solo homer (second inning) opened the night's scoring. The rally from down four runs tied for the second-largest Grizzlies' comeback victory this season.
Fresno began to chip away at the lead in the fourth. Kieboom's leadoff walk eventually scored after he was moved to second base on a Hernandez single; Raudy Read's RBI single produced the run. The Grizzlies tallied two more in the seventh after Read and Andrew Stevenson each had a hit and scored; Wilmer Difo drove in a run with a base hit and Read scored on an error.
In the ninth, Collin Cowgill led off with a walk and scored on Kieboom's game-tying hit, with Difo scoring the eventual winning run off Hernandez's bat after moving Cowgill to third with a single. It was Kieboom's first base hit of the series, although he's walked four times in three games, and six times in his last four games.
Yadiel Hernandez has now hit safely in all six games of this road trip, an 11-for-26 stretch. During this series, he is 5-for-14.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 2B Wilmer Difo (2-4, RBI, R, BB)
- C Raudy Read (2-4, RBI, R)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-4, RBI, R, BB)
Top Performers: Oklahoma City Dodgers (Los Angeles Dodgers)
- LF Zach Reks (1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB)
- SS Errol Robinson (1-3, Solo HR, BB)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday June 10 OKC Dodgers (Road) RHP Paolo Espino (Fresno) vs. RHP Brock Stewart (Oklahoma City) 5:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Gil Plays Hero as Grizzlies Walk-Off Giants 7-6 in 10 Innings
- Gil's Career Night Not Enough in Grizzlies 12-8 Setback to Giants
- Fresno Falters to San Jose on Tuesday
- Taco Truck Throwdown 10 to Feature Event's First Michelada Throwdown
- 2021 Fresno Grizzlies Playoff Tickets Are Now on Sale