River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3
Metairie, La. - Late-inning drama saw the Sacramento River Cats (32-31) roar back from down 0-2 with two runs in each the ninth and tenth innings to beat the New Orleans Baby Cakes (35-29) 4-3.
After being held scoreless by Baby Cakes righties Zac Gallen and Joe Gunkel for eight innings, the River Cats came stormed back with two runs in the ninth inning to force extras. Shortstop Abiatal Avelino followed a leadoff hit-by-pitch with a double to put Sacramento runners at second and third. Catcher Ronnie Freeman then came up with an RBI infield single and third baseman Ryan Howard hit a fly ball deep enough for Avelino to tag up and score - tying the game at two.
In the tenth, the River Cats took advantage of two walks, an error, a balk and a sacrifice fly to plate two more runs and take the lead for the first time in the game.
The River Cats got a solid outing from lefty Conner Menez, who was making his season debut for Sacramento. Menez tossed five innings of two-run baseball, striking out a season-high nine batters. Pat Venditte, Sam Selman, Jandel Gustave, Sam Coonrod and Fernando Abad shined on Sunday as well, combining to toss five innings, giving up no earned runs while striking out seven. Abad retired the final three hitters to nail down his eighth save of the season.
Lefty Andrew Suarez (2-4, 6.81) will take the mound tomorrow in the series finale for the River Cats. New Orleans go with right-hander Dustin Beggs (4-2,4.73). First pitch is set for 5:00 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM beginning at 6:00 p.m. (PT).
- The Sacramento pitching staff struck out 16 New Orleans hitters, bringing their total to 611 on the year. With the season-high strikeout total on Sunday, the River Cats passed the Baby Cakes (603) for the Pacific Coast League strikeout lead.
- Lefty Sam Selman continues to make batters look silly at the plate, striking out two of the three batters he faced this afternoon. On the season, Selman has now fanned 42 of the 90 batters he has faced (46.7%).
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics