Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat
Oklahoma City - The Oklahoma City Dodgers led from the first through eighth innings Sunday night, but the Fresno Grizzlies scored twice in the top of the ninth to take the lead and send the Dodgers to a 5-4 loss at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
The Dodgers loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth inning as three players reached with two outs, but were unable to bring home a run as they suffered their fifth straight defeat to tie their longest losing skid of the season.
Oklahoma City (23-39) took the game's first lead in its first at-bat of the night.
Connor Joe reached on a fielding error to lead off and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Shane Peterson for a 1-0 Dodgers lead.
Errol Robinson lined a solo homer out to left field that landed on the roof of the Budweiser Deck with two outs in the second inning to extend the Dodgers' lead to 2-0. The homer was his second of the season with OKC.
Zach Reks' two-run homer out to center field in the third inning pushed OKC's lead to 4-0. The home run was Reks' third in as many games for the Dodgers, marking the first time he has homered in three consecutive games in his career.
The Dodgers have now homered in a season-best 11 consecutive games - the team's longest stretch with a homer since homering in 14 straight games in May 2017.
Fresno's Raudy Read knocked a RBI double into left field to cut OKC's lead to 4-1 in the top of the fourth inning.
Fresno (32-31) then added two runs in the top of the seventh inning on back-to-back RBI singles by Andrew Stevenson and Wilmer Difo to cut Oklahoma City's lead to one run.
The Dodgers took a 4-3 lead into the ninth inning.
Collin Cowgill led off with a walk for the Grizzlies, advanced on a sacrifice bunt and moved to third base when Wilmer Difo singled. Cowgill then scored when Carter Kieboom hit a fly ball into shallow right field that landed between three OKC defenders for a RBI bloop single.
Yadiel Hernandez followed and grounded into a fielder's choice that allowed the go-ahead run to score and put the Grizzlies in front, 5-4.
With two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Robinson drew a walk before Jake Peter singled into center field.
After a Fresno pitching change, Joe drew a walk to load the bases. But Fresno pitcher Dakota Bacus then got Reks to strike out and end the game to record his second save of the season and send the Grizzlies to their first win of the season when trailing after eight innings.
Fresno pitcher Scott Copeland (4-3) picked up the win, allowing one hit over 1.2 scoreless innings with three walks and four strikeouts.
Dodgers reliever JT Chargois (1-2) was charged with the loss, allowing Fresno's two runs in the ninth inning.
Fresno leads the four-game series, 3-0, and the Dodgers will try to avoid a series sweep in the series finale at 7:05 p.m. Monday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers