Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss
DES MOINES, IA - The Albuquerque Isotopes (30-34) got the scoring started early and never looked back as they downed the Iowa Cubs (34-30) by a final score of 10-4, handing them their sixth straight loss of the homestand.
The Isotopes didn't waste any time getting on the board as Roberto Ramos clobbered a three-run shot to right center in the top of the first inning. Albuquerque added three more runs in the second off Iowa starter Matt Swarmer to give the Isotopes a 6-0 lead.
Iowa battled back in the home half of the second with a Robel Garcia solo home run and a Francisco Arcia RBI single, bringing the score to 6-2, but the Isotopes kept adding on.
The Isotopes scored two runs in the top of the third and then added two in the fifth inning to move their run total to double digits. Two RBI doubles by Phillip Evans and Garcia in the bottom of the sixth plated two more runs for the I-Cubs, but it wasn't enough.
Iowa's pitching staff held the Isotopes scoreless through the final four frames, but the damage was already done and the I-Cubs fell 10-4, moving their record in June to just 1-7.
- All 10 runs the Isotopes scored today were done so with two outs.
- Matt Swarmer threw a season-low 3.0 innings, allowed a season high eight earned runs, and matched a career high allowing four free passes.
- Robel Garcia hit his ninth home run of the year, tying him for second on the team in just 30 games with the I-Cubs this year.
- Phillip Evans recorded his second straight multi-hit game and has five total hits in the last two games against Albuquerque. The infielder boosted his average on the year to a team-leading .288.
- The I-Cubs fell to 2-14 in their last 16 games at Principal Park.
Iowa will look to salvage the series as well as the seven game homestand tomorrow against the Isotopes with first pitch scheduled for 12:08. Tomorrow's promotion is Fareway 2-for-1 Tickets. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.