Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss
Reno, Nevada - The Reno Aces attempted to mount a late-inning comeback Sunday afternoon at Greater Nevada Field but ultimately fell short. Memphis took advantage of a five-run seventh inning to secure a 7-4 victory and win game three of the four-game series. The Aces scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth and one in the 9th but couldn't come up with the game-winning hit. The loss drops Reno to a record of 27-36 on the season with one game remaining this homestand. Braden Shipley got the start for manager Chris Cron this afternoon. Shipley gave the crowd of 4,643 a show. The right-hander turned in his best start of the season (6.0 IP, 2 R, 6 K, 1 BB) before handing it over to the bullpen. Bradin Hagens allowed five runs on five hits in the seventh inning and recorded one out. The Aces will look to split the series tomorrow night with left-hander Alex Young scheduled to start.
Top Performers - Reno
Braden Shipley (6.0 IP, 2 R, 6 K, 1 BB)
Yasmany Tomas (1-for-4, 3B)
Marty Herum (3-for-4, 2B, RBI)
Top Performers - Memphis
Edmundo Sosa (2-for-5, R)
Drew Robinson (2-for-4, 2 R)
Rangel Ravelo (3-for-5, 2 RBI, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday June 10 Memphis Redbirds LHP Alex Young vs. RHP Jake Woodford 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Speedy Tomas: Yasmany Tomas hit his 12th career triple this afternoon. Tomas' three-base hit in the bottom of the first was his third of the season and seventh with the Reno Aces. Tomas has five career triples in the Major Leagues and is one shy of tying a career-best in a season.
The End is Near: The Reno Aces will end their seven-game homestand tomorrow evening against Memphis. After a series sweep against the Nashville Sounds, the Aces have dropped two of three to the Redbirds. However, a win tomorrow will bring the homestand record to 4-3. Tomorrow's ticket offer is Military Monday. Buy One, Get One Free for all active and veteran military members. | Presented By 103.7 The River
Battle Born Ship: Nevada alum Braden Shipley turned in his best performance of the season today. Shipley went six innings, scattered eight hits, stuck out six and walked one in front of a crowd of 4,643 at Greater Nevada Field. Shipley had gone five innings twice this season (5/23 & 5/29) but hadn't seen the sixth inning of a start since April 15, 2018. It is the 25th time Shipley has gone six or more innings in an Aces uniform. The right-hander had 14 games of 6.0+ innings in 2016, 8 in 2017, 2 in 2018 and his first of the year today.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.