Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win
TACOMA, Washington - Seth Maness and Wes Benjamin combined on a five-hitter Sunday afternoon, leading the Nashville Sounds to a 3-0 victory over the Tacoma Rainiers at Cheney Stadium. It marks the team's first shutout win of the year, and its first winning series in Tacoma since 2002.
The Sounds, now 3-3 on their road trip, again got early home runs for a lead they never gave away. Eli White blasted a solo shot leading off the third against Anthony Misiewicz, and Jett Bandy belted a two-run shot in the fourth for a 3-0 score that became the final. White has four home runs on the road trip, and each time it has given the Sounds a 1-0 lead.
Maness tossed five innings of three-hit ball, walked one and struck out four in the win. He has worked at least five innings in all eight of his Sounds starts. Benjamin, making his first relief appearance since 2016, took over in the sixth and finished the game for his second career save. He yielded two hits, worked around four walks, and struck out four.
The Sounds go for the four-game sweep and conclude their seven-game road trip Monday afternoon. Pedro Payano (0-1, 5.63) will start against Jon Niese (3-1, 5.06). First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 CT.
Eli White has eight home runs on the year in 58 games. He hit a career-high nine in 130 games last season at Double-A.
Andy Ibanez went 0-for-4 to snap his hitting streak at a season-high eight games.
Matt Davidson went 0-for-3 with a walk, moving his on-base streak to 16 games but snapping his hitting streak at seven games.
The Sounds had been the only team in the Pacific Coast League yet to record a shutout win this year.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.