Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The Round Rock Express (38-25) suffered their first loss to the Salt Lake Bees (28-34) by a narrow 6-5 final score on Sunday afternoon at Smith's Ballpark. Despite firing off 12 hits and coming within a run in the ninth, the E-Train could not plate the game-tying run.
Salt Lake RHP Max Herrmann (1-1, 1.92) notched the win after holding Round Rock to five hits in 4.0 scoreless innings. Express RHP Ronel Blanco (1-1, 3.06) suffered the loss after surrendering two runs on five hits in a 2.2 inning relief appearance.
E-Train RF Kyle Tucker opened scoring with a solo shot just one out into the contest. RF Josh Rojas then worked a walk prior to advancing to third on a Taylor Jones double and racing home thanks to a Drew Ferguson sacrifice fly. Jones followed home as 3B Nick Tanielu tacked on an RBI single before the Bees retired the inning.
However, Salt Lake matched Round Rock's three-run inning in the third as RF Ty Kelly tripled before being waved home on a Brennan Lund double. C Mario Sanjur added a base hit the next at-bat to push Lund into scoring position. Eventually, a throwing error by Express RHP Corbin Martin allowed Lund to touch home. Bees 2B Jose Rojas then recorded a two-out RBI double to plate Sanjur and level the score at three.
Round Rock quickly plated the tie-breaking run in the third as Rojas smoked a leadoff triple prior to a Jones RBI double that put the E-Train on top 4-3. The lead was once again short lived as Lund doubled in a leadoff walk to tie the game again, this time at four.
After a pair of scoreless innings, Salt Lake broke the tie in the bottom of the sixth with a 3B Matt Thaiss homer that also pushed in RF Taylor Ward, who had previously doubled. In the final frame, Round Rock DH AJ Reed attempted to spark a comeback with a leadoff solo home run that brought Round Rock within 6-5, but the Bees held off the E-Train to secure the 6-5 victory.
The Express aim for a series win against the Bees on Monday night while Salt Lake hopes to settle with a split. Round Rock RHP Brandon Bielak (0-1, 14.73) is slated to start against Bees LHP Matt Sandoval (1-2, 5.12). First pitch at Smith's Ballpark is scheduled for 2:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Announce Enhanced Safety Protocols
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Rosters Announced for "The Pfinal Game" at Dell Diamond
- Don'T Miss a Screening of Trolls at Dell Diamond on Friday, June 26
- Dell Diamond to Host "The Pfinal Game" on Tuesday, June 30