Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators
San Antonio Missions (39-24) at Las Vegas Aviators (34-29)
Game #64/Road Game #35
Sunday, June 9, 2:05 p.m.
Las Vegas Ballpark
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Bubba Derby (2-3, 4.70) vs. RHP Parker Dunshee (1-3, 6.29)
Chicks Dig The Long Ball: With Keston Hiura's home run in last night's win, the Missions are now 30-15 in games where they hit a home run. When the Missions fail to leave the yard, they are 9-9 so far this season. When connecting on multiple homers, the Missions are a respectable 14-7 in 2019.
Saturday Night's Alright for Winning: So far in the 2019 campaign, the Missions have seen the most success on Saturdays. After last night, the Missions are now 8-2 when playing on Saturday. In ten games, the Missions are batting .259 (87-for-336) on Saturdays and have launched 13 home runs, and driven in 45 runs. Some of the Missions' best hitters seem to enjoy Saturday games as well. Keston Hiura holds a .464 batting average (13-for-28) on Saturdays with a three home runs. David Freitas holds a .380 batting average (8-for-21) and Mauricio Dubon is batting .350 (14-for-40) in Saturday games.
Hooray for Jay: Veteran reliever Jay Jackson continues to be one of the strongest relievers in the PCL this season. He pitched a season high 2.1 innings en route to his third win of the season. In his perfect 2.1 innings performance, he also struck out a season high four batters. On the season, Jackson is 3-1 with a 1.21 ERA. He is second on the team in ERA behind Aaron Wilkerson's incredible 0.40 ERA. His three wins places him tied for third on the team with Burch Smith behind Wilkerson (5) and Thomas Jankins (4).
Lending a Helping Hand: Despite receiving a no-decision in last night's game, Thomas Jankins still provided a solid outing of 5.2 IP with two earned runs. The Missions have their second best win-loss record when Jankins starts (7-2). Only Aaron Wilkerson has a better team win-loss record at 7-1. Jankins also gets the most run support out of Missions starters with at least five starts. The team averages 5.1 runs per game when Jankins starts.
Loving the Lefties: The Missions have been very successful against southpaw starting pitchers this season. In 17 games against left-handed starters San Antonio is a blistering 13-4. Missions hitters are batting .270 (161-for-596) against lefties compared to .247 (354-for-1433) against right-handers.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
San Antonio Missions Baseball Club (@missionsmilb)
Missions rally for 5 runs over the last 2 innings to pull out the win in Vegas. Hiura with a 2R-monster blast that cleared the entire swimming pool area and probably rolled all the way to the Vegas strip
Jim Goulart (@Mass_Haas)
Manager @RickSweet16 making sure @Jw_Hager enjoys his homecoming weekend for the @missionsmilb, nicely done #Brewers https://t.co/apqTAZ5GHD
In quest to reach big leagues, Jake Hager cherishes series at home in Las Vegas
Missions manager Rick Sweet told Hager last week he would be playing all four games in Las Vegas and saw his face light up ....
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Flying Chanclas Score Five Runs in the 7th to Defeat the Hooks
- San Antonio Missions Announce End of the Year Blowout Sale
- Kevin Kopps Debuts, Missions Drop Second Consecutive Game to the Hooks
- Skender Leaves the Yard During Missions Series Opening Loss to Corpus
- San Antonio Uses the Long Ball to Clinch Series Victory in Frisco