Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The time has come! After dominating Triple-A, the Houston Astros have purchased the contract of Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez, the club announced on Sunday. Alvarez is expected to make his major league debut with Houston in Sunday afternoon's contest against the Baltimore Orioles at Minute Maid Park.
Alvarez departs Round Rock leading the Pacific Coast League in nearly every offensive category, including home runs (23), RBI (71), walks (38), extra-base hits (39), total bases (158) and runs scored (50). He also ranks second in the league in OBP (.443), SLG (.742) and OPS (1.184) and third in hits (73). His .343 batting average ranks eighth in the PCL.
The 22-year-old posted one of the best starts to a season in Round Rock Express history. Alvarez became the fastest player in franchise history to hit his 20th home run, which came back on May 22 against San Antonio, just 41 games into the season. He is also the only player in Express franchise history to hit double-digit home runs in the month of April. The slugger is currently tied with Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich and Arizona Diamondbacks INF Kevin Cron for most home runs in affiliated baseball with 23 despite playing in only 56 games so far in 2019.
During his time in an E-Train uniform, Alvarez collected a team-leading 21 multi-hit games, including a pair of four-hit performances. He hit a team-high three home runs on April 6 against New Orleans. His 19 multi-RBI games also led all Express hitters. He drove in a career-high six RBI on May 16 against Nashville while also tallying a five RBI night on April 16 at Nashville.
Alvarez collected a bevy of awards during his short time with the Express. He took home Pacific Coast League Player of the Week Honors for April 29 - May 5 before being named both the PCL and Houston Astros Minor League Player of the Month for April. He became the first Express player to earn a PCL Player of the Month award since C J.R. House in August 2006, just Round Rock's second season in the league.
The Las Tunas, Cuba native is widely regarded as one of the top prospects in baseball and is currently tabbed as the third-best prospect in the Astros organization, as well as the 41st overall prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com. He was acquired by Houston in a trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP Josh Fields on August 1, 2016.
Round Rock continues their series against the Salt Lake Bees on Sunday. Express RHP Corbin Martin (1-1, 1.42) is set to face Bees RHP Matt Ball (0-0, 0.00). First pitch at Smith's Ballpark in Salt Lake City is set for 2:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Issue Statement on Affiliation
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Hardy to Join Midland for December 5 Concert at Dell Diamond
- "Bulls in the Ballpark" Invades Dell Diamond this Weekend
- Holidays in Hutto Community Event Announced