Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win
Storm Chasers first baseman Samir Duenez mashed a game-tying three-run homer in the eighth inning after El Paso starter Kyle McGrath set down the first 21 batters he faced, however the Chihuahuas plated three tallies in the tenth inning of a 6-3 extra-inning win over Omaha on Sunday afternoon at Werner Park.
McGrath (7.0+ IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K) was stellar in his first seven frames, setting down each of the first 21 batters he faced, including six strikeouts, though he ultimately did not factor in the decision. The Storm Chasers were unable to get a baserunner until LF Jorge Bonifacio bashed a line-drive single into center field to begin the seventh inning.
After Bonifacio's base hit, RF Bubba Starling laced a single to center before Duenez drove both home with a three-run shot to right, evening the contest at 3-3. The Chihuahuas would plate three in the top of the tenth, two courtesy of DH Aderlin Rodriguez 's homer to right, to top Omaha. El Paso also scored the first three tallies of the game, highlighted by LF Michael Gettys's two-run shot in the second frame.
Chihuahuas RF Jose Pirela (2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI) and 3B Seth Mejias-Brean (2-3, R, 2 BB) each recorded two knocks, with Rodriguez and Gettys each driving in two runs as well. No Storm Chasers batter posted more than one hit in the contest. Prior to Sunday's matchup, Omaha was the only full-season team in either Major League or Minor League Baseball to have not played an extra-inning contest in 2019.
Neither McGrath nor Omaha starter Foster Griffin (5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) factored in the final decisions. Chihuahuas Ty Maton (2.0 IP, H, BB, 4 K) earned the win, while Storm Chasers righty Kyle Zimmer (0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, BB, K) suffered the loss.
Omaha and El Paso are set to finish off their series with a Monday matinee. First pitch is scheduled for 12:05pm CT. RHP Scott Blewett (4-5, 6.41) is anticipated to start for the Storm Chasers, with LHP Logan Allen (4-2, 4.99) slated to get the nod for the Chihuahuas.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Thrice as Nice: Grizzlies' late comeback clips Dodgers 5-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies' Late Rally Sends Dodgers to 5-4 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 7-4 Loss - Reno Aces
- Maness, Benjamin Lead Sounds to Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Big Seventh Inning Spurs Redbirds to 7-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Bullpen Goes Four Scoreless Frames, Tacoma Falls to Nashville in Game Three - Tacoma Rainiers
- McGrath's Start Sets up Chihuahuas Win in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Top Chasers with 6-3 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Take Sunday Afternoon Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- Dunshee Shines on Mound, But Aviators Fall to Missions 4-1 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Come Back to Edge Express 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Post 40th Win - San Antonio Missions
- Albuquerque Comes out Swinging, Hands Iowa Sixth Straight Loss - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats complete comeback in extras to win 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Rally Late to Beat 'Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Rout Cubs for Third Straight Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 9, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez Promoted to Houston Astros - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (24-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-37) at Reno Aces (27-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- A Pro's Pro: Campbell Leads Way for Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night