Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Tayler Thompson broke a scoreless tie in the second period and Chris LeBlanc added his first two goals of the 2019 postseason to lift the Orlando Solar Bears (3-1) to a 4-1 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (1-3) in Game 4 of the South Division Semifinals on Friday night at North Charleston Coliseum. Orlando can advance to the South Division Finals with a win in Game 5 on Saturday night in North Charleston.
Thompson netted his second goal of the playoffs to give Orlando a 1-0 lead at 2:45 of the middle frame when Mitch Hults intercepted a Stingrays breakout at the left circle and sent a drop pass through his legs to Thompson, who snapped a shot over the shoulder of Parker Milner.
LeBlanc tallied his first of the playoffs at 6:06 to make it 2-0 when he flipped the puck over to Troy Bourke at the left circle, and Bourke's shot from the dot rebounded off the pads of Milner back over to LeBlanc at the right circle, where the forward was positioned to roof a shot past a lunging Milner.
LeBlanc got his second of the game at 12:03 when he teamed up with Jonne Tammela for a 2-on-1, and Tammela sent a pass from the left side to LeBlanc at the right post, who tapped home the goal to make it 3-0.
Jonathan Charbonneau got the Stingrays on the board at 10:49 of the third period, when Mason Mitchell's shot rebounded away from Connor Ingram back into the slot, where Kevin McKernan dished the puck over to Charbonneau at the left post, who buried a shot past a sprawled Ingram.
Colby McAuley capped the scoring with an insurance goal for Orlando at 17:25 when Brent Pedersen delivered a hit on Stingrays defenseman Steve Johnson behind the net of Milner, and the puck popped out to McAuley for an easy tap-in at the right post for his first of the playoffs.
Ingram turned aside 26 of 27 shots he faced to pick up his third win of the playoffs; Milner took the loss with 27 saves on 31 shot against.
1) Chris LeBlanc - ORL
2) Connor Ingram - ORL
3) Parker Milner - SC
The victory improves Orlando to 4-0 all-time on the road in the playoffs against South Carolina.
Hults' assist on Thompson's goal gives Hults a three-game point streak (3g-1a).
Pedersen's assist on McAuley's goal gives Pedersen a two-game point streak (1g-1a).
Bourke's assist on LeBlanc's first goal gives Bourke a three-game assist streak (3a). He also led Orlando with seven shots on goal.
Thompson's goal was the second time in the postseason that the forward had broken a 0-0 tie to open the scoring for Orlando.
Alexander Kuqali and Kevin Lohan led the team with a +4 rating, matching the franchise playoff single-game mark originally set by Hunter Fejes on May 4, 2018 vs. Florida.
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears continue the South Division Semifinals against the Stingrays with Game 5 set for Saturday, April 20 at 7:05 p.m. at North Charleston Coliseum.
2019 Playoffs Presented by XYMOPrint:
Tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2019 Playoffs, presented by XYMOPrint, are now on sale. Should the series return to Orlando, Game 6 will be held at Amway Center on Monday, April 22 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets now. Tickets can also be purchased via ticketmaster.com or the Amway Center box office.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 20, 2019
- Mavericks Claim Game Five with Four-Goal Second Period - Kansas City Mavericks
- Big Ben: Masella's Four-Point Game Lifts 'Blades over IceMen in Game 5 - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Eliminate Stingrays in Game 5 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Left with Sour Taste in Game 5 - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Come up Short in Game 5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Advance to Second Round with 7-1 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Beast Thump Growlers 8-2 for Big Game Five Victory - Brampton Beast
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 20 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Insider Adam Turner on Utah's OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall in OT in Game 4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.