Big Ben: Masella's Four-Point Game Lifts 'Blades over IceMen in Game 5
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Ben Masella posted two goals and four points, and the Florida Everblades scored five unanswered goals to take a 3-2 series lead with a 5-1 win over the Jacksonville Icemen on Saturday at Veterans Memorial Arena.
On the heels of consecutive losses, Florida limited Jacksonville to only 15 shots on goal and scored four times in the third period in its final road game of the South Division Semifinal series.
Jacksonville started the scoring with the lone goal of the opening period. Cam Maclise slid a pass that found its way to Jake Randolph at the back post. Randolph managed to catch a piece of the puck to tap it past Florida goaltender Callum Booth with 2:47 left in the first period.
Florida bounced back to tie the game on its first goal in the second period in the series. Sam Warning jetted to a loose puck at center ice and carried it into the offensive zone. As he crossed the blue line, Warning left a drop pass with Masella who promptly hammered the feed over the glove of Jacksonville goaltender Ken Appleby with 5:37 to play in the second.
A quick start in the third period then helped propel the 'Blades ahead for good. Blake Winiecki slammed in a cross-crease feed from Justin Auger only one minute, 15 seconds into the final frame, a goal that held up as the game-winning strike. Less than 90 seconds later, Grant Arnold wired a one-time pass from Matt Finn over the blocker of Appleby to extend Florida's lead to two.
Winiecki potted his second of the period to give the Everblades a three-goal cushion at the 8:33 mark of the third stanza. John McCarron led Florida on a two-on-one rush into the zone and tapped a feed to the left circle for Winiecki. The rookie forward slapped the puck into a nearly wide-open goal to give the Everblades a 4-1 lead.
Masella capped his four-point night with a full-length, empty-net goal with 5:20 to play in the game. The second-year defenseman has registered at least one point in each game of the series.
Florida now returns home with a chance to close out the series on Monday night at Hertz Arena. Faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fits into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 20, 2019
- Mavericks Claim Game Five with Four-Goal Second Period - Kansas City Mavericks
- Big Ben: Masella's Four-Point Game Lifts 'Blades over IceMen in Game 5 - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Eliminate Stingrays in Game 5 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Left with Sour Taste in Game 5 - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Come up Short in Game 5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Advance to Second Round with 7-1 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Beast Thump Growlers 8-2 for Big Game Five Victory - Brampton Beast
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 20 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Insider Adam Turner on Utah's OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall in OT in Game 4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors
- 'Blades Announce Updates on Renovations, Reminders for Opening Night
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators