Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs used five third-period goals en route to ending the Adirondack Thunder's season as Game 5 of the North Division Semifinals ended with a 7-1 final Saturday night at SNHU Arena.
Pierre-Luc Mercier scored the game's first goal after Nic Pierog backhanded him a pass in front of an open net.
Mike Szmatula tied the game at 9:12 of the second period when he notched his first of the postseason. The Thunder's leading goal scorer during the regular season made a nice play to keep the puck in the offensive zone after a Manchester attempt to clear. The Commerce Township, Michigan native slammed a slap-shot on goal that Charles Williams saved initially, but after a charge towards the crease, Szmatula potted the loose puck to tie the game.
Manchester regained their lead less than five minutes later when Kevin Dufour scored a power-play goal with one second remaining on the man advantage.
The Monarchs added a five-spot in the final 20 minutes of regulation: Michael Doherty (2), Pavel Jenys, Sam Kurker and Dufour's second of the night completed the scoring.
The two teams have faced off in postseason play in each of the past four seasons. Adirondack won the first and third matchups while Manchester was crowned during the second and fourth series'.
With the loss, Adirondack's season is over. For all future news and updates on the Adirondack Thunder, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 20, 2019
- Mavericks Claim Game Five with Four-Goal Second Period - Kansas City Mavericks
- Big Ben: Masella's Four-Point Game Lifts 'Blades over IceMen in Game 5 - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Eliminate Stingrays in Game 5 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Left with Sour Taste in Game 5 - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Come up Short in Game 5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Advance to Second Round with 7-1 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Beast Thump Growlers 8-2 for Big Game Five Victory - Brampton Beast
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 20 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Insider Adam Turner on Utah's OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall in OT in Game 4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- D-Man Alex Jaeckle Re-Signs with Adirondack
- Rookie Forward Ryan Smith Signs with Adirondack
- Minnesota State Captain Nick Rivera Turns Pro with Thunder
- Veteran Defenseman Mathieu Brodeur Returns to Adirondack
- Defenseman Tommy Parran Re-Signs for a Second Season with Adirondack