SWB RailRiders Game Notes
ROCHESTER RED WINGS (28-31) @ SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (28-33)
Game One: RHP Aaron Slegers (5-3, 3.43) vs. RHP Erik Swanson (0-1, 5.79)
Game Two: LHP Gabriel Moya (0-0, 2.11) vs. LHP Nestor Cortes (0-3, 6.07)
| Game No. 62 & 63 | Tuesday June 12, 2018 | PNC Field | Moosic, PA |
| First Pitch 5:00 p.m. | Pregame Show 4:30 p.m. |
LAST TIME OUT: MOOSIC, Pa. (June 11, 2018) - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders defeated the Rochester Red Wings 10-3 Monday night in the series-opener between two I.L. North Division rivals at PNC Field.
The RailRiders struck early in the bottom of the first inning when Tyler Wade walked, Brandon Drury singled and Ryan McBroom had a base hit to bring Wade home. Avelino singled to plate Drury and Bruce Caldwell bashed a double that scored McBroom. Avelino later scored on a wild pitch to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 4-0 lead. The single by Drury extended his on-base streak to 32 games, breaking OF Jake Cave's previous RailRiders franchise record of 31 games set last season.
The Red Wings responded in the bottom of the second as Chris Carter hit a lead-off home run -- it was his 5th in 18 games with the Red Wings and 18th overall this season, good for second in Minor League Baseball. The RailRiders added to their total in the bottom of the third as Billy McKinney smacked his own solo shot deep over the right-field wall.
In the bottom of the fourth Clint Frazier led off with a single. Wade bunted for a hit and Frazier scored all the way from first base on a throwing error by the first baseman, Kennys Vargas. After he picked up the bunt, he turned and threw to the bag but it got away up the right field line and allowed Frazier to blaze around for the run. Drury followed that sequence with a walk, and McBroom smashed a three-run home run as part of his 5-RBI night. It was just the second 5-RBI game by a RailRider this season.
Rochester answered in the top of the fifth as Cameron Rupp and Nick Buss hit back-to-back singles for the Red Wings. They both advanced a base on a wild pitch and LaMonte Wade snagged himself a base hit to bring both Rupp and Buss home. The RailRiders plated another run in the bottom of the sixth as Wade led off with a double and McBroom singled to score Wade from second as part of his 3-for-4 night.
David Hale had a solid night for the RailRiders picking up the win as he threw five innings allowing three runs on four hits. J.P Feyereisen, Tommy Kahnle and Cale Coshow pitched well in relief combining to throw four shutout innings allowing only two hits.
HE DRURIOUSLY SCRIBBLES NAME INTO RECORD BOOK: INF Brandon Drury extended his on-base streak to 32 games Monday night with a 1-for-4 performance plus a walk against the Rochester Red Wings. The 31 games marks every contest he has played in Triple-A this season between his rehab stint and following his option on May 14. Drury's streak is now the longest in RailRiders history dating back to the franchise's name-change in 2013. Having eclipsed Cole Figueroa's 26-game run in 2015 earlier in the week, the only RailRider who had been left for him to pass before Monday was OF Jake Cave who had set the franchise-record of 31 games last season. In the midst of the on-base streak, Drury also had a 9-game hit streak. He doubled in the 7th inning Tuesday to extend his hit streak to 9-straight games which was the longest by a RailRider this season before the streak ended with an 0-for-2 Wednesday.
HOME COOKING: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre opened what was scheduled to be a 10-game, nine-day homestand Tuesday with a 6-3 win in the first of a 3G set against Durham before losing the series 2-1. The Louisville Bats were in town Friday and Saturday before Sunday's contest was cancelled due to rain, after which the longest homestand of the season concludes with four games over three days against Rochester -- including a doubleheader Tuesday night to make up for a rainout on May 12 the last time the Red Wings were in-town. The homestand began with the RailRiders owning a 15-12 record at home on the year (now 18-15) and were 5.0 games back of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (now 6.5 games back).
HAVEN'T SEEN THAT OFTEN: The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders offense jumped all over Rochester Red Wings LHP Stephen Gonsalves for 9 runs on 9 hits in 4.0 IP. The 9 runs marked a season-high the the RailRiders off any starting pitcher this season and adds to the 6 runs in 1.2 innings they scored off Gonsalves a month prior, May 11. The 10-run performance overall marked just the third time this season SWB has done that, and the first since Game No. 9 of the season @ Charlotte -- 52 games ago.
IN BUNCHES: INF Tyler Wade scored 3 runs as part of Monday's win, marking his second straight game with 3 runs. Prior to the last two games, only once had a RailRider scored 3+ runs in a game over the first 59 games of the season: OF Shane Robinson, 4/23 vs. Columbus. Wade had scored 15 runs over his first 41G before 6 in his last 2G.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Single Game Tickets Go on Sale February 28
- All-Star Mini-Plans on Sale Now
- RailRiders Unveil First Batch of 2020 Theme Nights
- 2020 Fireworks Nights Set
- RailRiders unveil 2020 bobbleheads with a legendary feel