RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester
MOOSIC, Pa. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders swept a doubleheader with the Rochester Red Wings on Tuesday night, winning the first game 5-2, and taking the finale 2-0. It was the first doubleheader sweep of the year for the surging RailRiders, who have won four of their last five games.
In the first game of the twin bill, the RailRiders jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Billy McKinney connected for a three-run home run off Aaron Slegers. The round-tripper was the seventh of the season for McKinney, and his second in his last two games.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tacked on in the bottom of the third when Clint Frazier touched up Slegers for a solo shot to dead centerfield to extend the lead to 4-0. Abiatal Avelino contributed a third RailRider home run, a solo homer in the fourth.
Erik Swanson was strong for SWB, delivering 6.0 stellar innings of work in Game One. The right-hander allowed two runs on six hits, striking out eight and not allowing a walk. The runs against Swanson scored in the top of the fourth on back-to-back home runs from Cameron Rupp and Taylor Motter.
Joe Harvey relieved Swanson (1-1) in the top of the seventh and worked around a two-out walk to shut the door to earn his second save of the season.
Brandon Drury was 0-for-3 with a run scored in the opener, ending his RailRiders record 32-game on-base streak.
In Game Two, Nestor Cortes got the RailRiders off to a splendid start, retiring the first six batters he faced and not allowing a hit until the top of the fifth. The southpaw threw 5.0 shutout innings, allowing just one single, walking two and striking out three in his first start since May 15th.
After the offensive explosion in the opening game, the RailRiders bats were stymied by Red Wings pitching through the first five frames of the nightcap. Rochester pitchers Gabriel Moya and Tyler Duffy scattering four hits.
Against John Curtiss in the bottom of the sixth, Clint Frazier led off with a double and Tyler Wade singled to place runners on first and third with nobody out. Drury drove an opposite-field triple to drive in both runners and give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 2-0 lead.
Giovanny Gallegos (1-0) relieved Cortes in the nightcap and shut the Red Wings down over the final two innings to seal the victory and the doubleheader sweep.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre looks to complete a four-game sweep of the Rochester Red Wings on Wednesday night at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. RHP Chance Adams (2-2, 5.43) takes the ball for the RailRiders, while LHP Dietrich Enns (4-6, 5.84) heads to the slab for the Red Wings. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.