Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win
The Columbus Clippers defeated the Louisville Bats, 7-4, in game one of the teams' four-game series tonight at Louisville Slugger Field.
The Clippers erupted in the third and, despite a valiant comeback effort, held the Bats off after that to secure the win.
The Clippers jumped out to a five-run lead after a huge third inning. Drew Maggi kicked things off with a RBI double, and Brandon Barnes scored him with a single, making it 2-0. Mike Papi followed with a two-run double, backed by an Eric Haase RBI triple, making it 5-0.
The Bats didn't go down without a fight, as they put up four runs in the bottom of the third aganst Clippers' starter Shao-Ching Chiang. Nick Senzel laced a RBI double and Dilson Herrera launched a three-run homerun, pulling Louisville within 5-4.
When it was all said and done, 17 batters had come to the plate in the inning.
Columbus added one run in the top of the fifth with two men on. With Papi on third, Nellie Rodriguez lifted fly ball to center to score him, extending the lead to 6-4.
Chiang would be relieved in the sixth inning, having allowed four runs on five hits in five and one-third innings. He walked one and struck out three in his Triple-A debut.
Haase provided the Clippers with another insurance run in the top of the seventh when he lofted a high fly ball to right that got lost in the lights. Centerfielder Mason Williams could not see the ball and the second baseman, Senzel, couldn't get to it in time, allowing Barnes to score, making it 7-4.
George Kontos tossed scoreless eighth and ninth innings for the Clippers to maintain the lead and earn the game one victory.
The Clippers and host Bats will play game two of their four-game series tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.