Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss
INDIANAPOLIS - The Toledo Mud Hens dropped game two of a four game series against the Indianapolis Indians 5-2 at Victory Field.
Despite a seven hit attack, the Toledo (39-23) offense was not able to push more than two runners across the plate. The Hen Pen looked solid, allowing Indianapolis (33-29) to score no runs after taking over in just the third inning.
Toledo's starter, Kyle Dowdy, was cruising through two innings. He even started the third by setting down Erich Weiss. However, after that he recorded only one more out on a Jung Ho Kang fly out. A walk and six hits in the third inning alone spelled the end for Dowdy, who allowed five runs and took the loss.
Kevin Comer relieved for the starter with two runners on. A quick strikeout of Weiss got Toledo out of the jam. Comer was joined by Zac Reininger and Paul Voelker out of the Hen Pen to shut down the Indian attack for 5.1 straight innings.
Ronny Rodriguez singled in the first inning, but the early threat was erased when Ryan Lavarnway caught Rodriguez attempting to steal. Christin Stewart brought some excitement in the fourth inning with a hard hit double, but nothing came of it. Indians starter J.T. Brubaker kept the Hens bats out of the score column until the sixth inning.
Both Dawel Lugo and Rodriguez were able to reach base in the sixth inning. Then Jim Adduci drove the pair home with a ringing double that hugged the left field line. That is not all Adduci contributed, as he made a great stop at first base to hold the score at 5-2 to end the eighth inning.
It was Mikie Mahtook tasked with starting the Hens rally in the ninth inning against Indians reliever Bo Schultz, and he did just that by collecting a single to left. However, Jason Krizan hit into a double play. With a single out left to work with, Chad Huffman was called upon to pinch hit for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Huffman grouded out to end the game.
The Mud Hens remain in Indianapolis on Wednesday for game three of their four-game set against the Indians. First pitch from Victory Field is scheduled for 1:35 p.m.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to 2018 MLB.com Prospect Watch):
10. OF Christin Stewart: 1-for-4, double
11. OF Mike Gerber: 0-for-4
12. IF Dawel Lugo: 1-for-4, single, run
15. RHP Grayson Long: DNP (DL)
16. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
18. LHP Tyler Alexander: DNP
- Toledo and Indianapolis are the two teams sitting atop the IL team batting average rankings. The Mud Hens entered the game second with a .266 team average, trailing the Indians at .271.
- The Mud Hens have used 18 different starting pitchers this season.
- The Mud Hens have blanked an opponent seven times this season, and remain the only team in the IL to score in all of their games this year.
- Toledo holds a 28-7 record when scoring the game's first run.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.