Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win
NORFOLK, Va. - The Gwinnett Stripers split a doubleheader with the Norfolk Tides Tuesday night at Harbor Park, losing game one by a 1-0 score, but coming back to win the nightcap 2-1.
The only run in game one came in the bottom of the second inning when Norfolk catcher Caleb Joseph hit a solo homer to right off Gwinnett right-hander Wes Parsons.
Parsons (L, 1-1) went 5.0 innings with three hits, one earned run, two walks allowed and two strikeouts. Chad Bell pitched 1.0 inning with one hit given up.
John Means (W, 2-1) matched Parsons stride-for-stride, tossing 6.0 innings with three hits allowed and eight strikeouts. Jhan Marinez (S, 7) worked the final inning with one walk and two strikeouts.
The Stripers could only muster three singles in the first game; one each by Phil Gosselin, Sean Kazmar Jr. and Chris Stewart.
Joseph was 1-for-2 with a solo homer in game one for Norfolk.
Game two was another pitchers' duel, though it went in the Stripers' favor.
The game remained scoreless until the top of the sixth inning when Danny Santana hit a long home run (9) to right field for a 1-0 Gwinnett lead.
The Tides leveled the game in the bottom of the sixth as Gwinnett starter Elian Leyva, making his first career Triple-A start, gave up a leadoff double to former Brookwood High School star Cedric Mullins. Steve Wilkerson, a former high school star out of Pope High School in Marietta, followed with a double to right, scoring Mullins to tie the game at 1-1. The Stripers brought in Evan Phillips, who would strikeout the side to strand Wilkerson at second and prevent any further damage.
The winning run for Gwinnett came in the top of the seventh as Xavier Avery led off with a single against lefty reliever Tanner Scott. Scott then walked Tyler Smith, and with one out, walked pinch-hitter Michael Reed to load the bases. Santana followed with a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Avery from third for a 2-1 lead and the eventual win.
Norfolk had a chance to tie or win it in the bottom of the seventh as they put runners on second and third with two outs against Josh Ravin. However, Ravin got Wilkerson to ground out to second to end the game.
Leyva worked 5.0 innings with six hits, one earned run and one walk allowed with two strikeouts. Phillips (W, 3-3) went 1.0 inning with one walk and three strikeouts. Ravin (S, 4) pitched 1.0 inning with two hits and one strikeout, keeping his season ERA at 0.00.
The Tides started lefty Paul Fry, who went 3.0 innings with three hits allowed and four strikeouts. Ryan Meisinger pitched 3.0 innings with two hits, one earned run, one walk and four strikeouts. Scott (L, 0-1) worked 1.0 inning with one hit, one earned run, two walks and one strikeout.
Game two was led by Santana who was 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBIs.
Mullins and Wilkerson were both 2-for-4 in game two for the Tides. Mullins had two doubles. Garabez Rosa was 2-for-3.
The Stripers (27-35) and Tides (33-28) meet in the rubber match Wednesday at 12:05 p.m. at Harbor Park. Left-hander Max Fried (1-3, 4.88) will start for Gwinnett against righty Asher Wojciechowski (3-2, 3.47). Tony Schiavone has the play-by-play call on 97.7 and 93.5 FM The Other Side of the River beginning at 11:35 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.