Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday
(DURHAM, NC) - RHP Jordan Stephens struck-out seven batters over six shutout innings and 3B Matt Skole launched a solo home run to lead the Charlotte Knights to a 6-2 win over the Durham Bulls on Tuesday night from Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, NC. The win was Charlotte's fourth in seven games against the Bulls in 2018. Overall, the Knights have won 11 of their last 17 games.
Stephens (3-2, 3.67) earned his third win of the season with the Knights after six impressive innings in his first career start against the Bulls. He allowed just three hits and two walks on the night and threw 98 total pitches (61 for strikes). The 25-year-old right hander has now tossed at least six innings in five of his six starts with the Knights since being promoted from Double-A Birmingham.
The Knights scored first on Tuesday and did so with help from Skole, who connected on his sixth home run of the season in the third inning. Skole's solo shot came off Durham starter Andrew Moore (1-1, 4.00), who was charged with the loss. The Knights added one more run in the fifth inning and two more in the sixth inning. Catcher Dustin Garneau's two-run double in the sixth gave the Knights a 4-0 lead. Charlotte tacked on two more runs along the way with help from LF Alex Presley's RBI single in the top of the ninth inning.
In the bottom of the ninth inning, the Bulls battled back to score their only two runs of the game. Durham DH Justin Williams launched a two-run home run off reliever Gregory Infante to spoil the shutout effort in the opening game of the series.
Chicago White Sox outfielder AvisaÃ-l GarcÃ-a began his major league rehab assignment and went 1-for-2 with a walk. He was added to Charlotte's roster before the game along with RHP Spencer Adams, who was promoted to the Knights from Double-A Birmingham.
The Knights will conclude their quick two-game road series against the Durham Bulls from Durham Bulls Athletic Park on Wednesday night. Pre-game radio coverage of Wednesday's 7:05 p.m. game will begin at 6:50 PM on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- 2019 Collegiate Baseball Series Schedule Revealed Today
- Hurricane Florence Collection Drive Set for September 26th at BB&T Ballpark
- Charlotte's Parrott Named IL Sports Turf Manager of the Year for Second Straight Season
- Knights Crowned 2018 Minor League Baseball Attendance Champions
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1