Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indians sent 10 batters to the plate during a five-run third en route to a 5-2 win over the Toledo Mud Hens on Tuesday night. Kevin Kramer collected two of Indy's four doubles as the Tribe evened the four-game series at one game apiece.
Indianapolis (33-29) wreaked havoc at the dish in its second time through the order against right-hander Kyle Dowdy. Kevin Newman worked a one-out walk to set up a run-scoring double by Adam Frazier that drew chalk down the right-field line.
The Indians then poured on four more runs with two outs on four consecutive RBI hits. Jose Osuna doubled home Frazier before scoring on a Jordan Luplow single to right-center. Kramer followed with a double off the wall in deep right-center, moments ahead of a Christopher Bostick sharp single back up the middle.
The Mud Hens (39-24) chipped away with two runs of their own in the sixth. Singles by Ronny Rodriguez and Dawel Lugo preceded a two-RBI double off the bat of Jim Adduci on J.T. Brubaker's 100th pitch of the game, bringing the visitors within three at 5-2. Reliever Jesus Liranzo inherited Adduci at second base and left him there with a strikeout of Mikie Mahtook and popout to short by Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Liranzo posted a zero before the stretch, and both Josh Smoker and Bo Schultz (S, 1) tossed scoreless frames to seal the win.
Brubaker (W, 4-2) won for the second time in as many starts with 5.1 innings of two-run ball. He yielded six hits and two walks with five strikeouts. Dowdy (L, 2-3) was handed the loss after allowing five earned runs on seven hits in 2.2 innings of work.
Osuna's two knocks raised his average to .328 on the season.
Game three of the series is set for 1:35 p.m. ET on Wednesday afternoon. Right-hander Clay Holmes (4-3, 4.00) will start for the Indians. Toledo is expected to counter with southpaw Tyler Alexander (1-1, 6.75).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Shao-Ching Chiang Earns First Triple-A Win - Columbus Clippers
- Mud Hens Bullpen Dominates in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reed Deals Strong Innings as Bats Fall 6-2 - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Wins Game Two of Doubleheader, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Salvage Doubleheader with Game Two Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Stifle Bulls to Halt Winning Streak - Durham Bulls
- Knights Charge Past the Bulls 6-2 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Hold off Hens Behind Five-Run Third - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Split Doubleheader - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Score Three in Ninth, Stun Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Rally Late to Top Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Sweep Double Dip from Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Swept in Twin Bill Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Score a Free Youth Jersey on Friday, June 29 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 12 - Louisville Bats
- OF Avisail Garcia begins MLB rehab assignment - Charlotte Knights
- Top Pitching Prospect to Start for RailRiders Thursday During Yankees' Triple-A Team's Final Visit to Syracuse in 2018 - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley DH (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Teddy Bear Toss, June 30 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.