Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3
Norfolk used a strong start from Dan Straily, a three-run homer from Mason Williams and a clutch hit from Jack Reinheimer to double up the Rochester Red Wings 6-3 Tuesday night at Harbor Park.
The Tides jumped out to an early lead on an RBI double by Ryan Mountcastle in the first frame, and Williams extended that advantage to 4-0 with a three-run blast off of local product Sean Poppen in the third inning. It was the 13th home run of the season for Williams, and it snapped a string of 12 consecutive solo home runs hit by Norfolk batters. Williams has now hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games, batting .355 with five home runs and 12 RBI over that stretch.
Making his fourth start in a Norfolk uniform, Straily (2-0) earned the win after allowing three runs on five hits over 5.1 innings of work. The 30-year-old right-hander carried a shutout into the sixth inning, but Zander Wiel put the Wings on the board with a one-out, three-run homer that shrunk Norfolk's lead to 4-3.
Straily struck out seven while issuing just one walk, throwing 54 of his 86 pitches for strikes. He's now posted a 3.00 ERA in his four appearances with the Tides, striking out 24 while walking four over 21.0 innings of work.
David Hess and Tanner Scott followed Straily's effort with 3.2 shutout innings of relief to help wrap up the win. Hess' outing was his fifth straight scoreless appearance out of the Norfolk bullpen, while Scott recorded the final six outs to register his fourth save of the season.
Reinheimer gave the Tides some late insurance runs with a two-out, two-run double in the eighth inning. Reinheimer had two hits in the contest to extend his hitting streak to nine games, and he's now hit safely in 14 of his last 15 starts.
Poppen, who attended Cape Henry Collegiate High School in Virginia Beach before graduating from Harvard University, allowed three runs on four hits over five innings. He struck out five and walked a pair in relief of Cody Allen (0-1), who took the loss after allowing a first inning run in a spot start.
The two clubs will continue their four-game set on Wednesday night at Harbor Park, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05. Chandler Shepherd (0-7, 8.08) gets the start for Norfolk and will be opposed by left-hander Lewis Thorpe (4-4, 5.22).
Notes: The Tides made three roster moves Tuesday, as RHP David Hess was activated after being optioned from Baltimore, LHP Zach Muckenhirn was transferred to Double-A Bowie, and IF Jace Peterson was granted his release...Christopher Bostick doubled and scored in the first frame and he's hit .318 since the All-Star break...Norfolk has homered in six consecutive games...There have been 113 home runs hit at Harbor Park this year, 18 more than the entire 2018 season total of 95.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.