Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (47-46) scored three runs in the second inning and held on for a 4-2 win over the Gwinnett Stripers (54-41) on Tuesday night at Coolray Field. Atlanta Braves' right-hander Kevin Gausman pitched 7.0 innings, yielded three runs (two earned) on six hits, and struck out 10 in a rehab start.
Scoring Recap: The IronPigs took a 3-0 lead in the second inning on a two-run home run by Logan Morrison (16) off Gausman and an RBI single by pitcher Enyel De Los Santos. The Stripers cut the deficit to 3-2 in the sixth as Jack Lopez (8) hit a two-run homer off De Los Santos. Lehigh Valley extended their lead to 4-2 in the eighth on a solo homer by Phil Gosselin (4) off Kurt Hoekstra.
Stripers Stats: Gausman (L, 0-1) took the loss despite his quality start. Hoekstra gave up one run on two hits and struck out three over 2.0 innings. Lopez went 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBIs, while rehabbing Atlanta Braves' outfielder Ender Inciarte went 1-for-5 with a double.
IronPigs Stats: De Los Santos (W, 4-4) pitched 6.0 innings with two runs on three hits and six strikeouts. Tom Windle (H, 3), Tyler Gilbert (H, 3), and Fernando Salas (S, 1) each tossed a scoreless inning in relief. Morrison went 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs, and Gosselin went 2-for-4 with a homer and one RBI.
Quote: "I had a good outing in Mississippi and tonight I was able to take another step in the right direction," Gausman said. "I got stretched out and was able to throw over 100 pitches and overall had good command."
Postgame Notes: Lopez's home run was Gwinnett's 150th in 95 games this season, second-most in the International League behind Columbus's 154 homers. The Stripers dropped to 2.5 games behind Durham (57-39) for first place in the IL South, but maintained a 3.0-game lead over Charlotte (51-44) in the IL Wild Card standings.
Next Game (Wednesday, July 17): Gwinnett vs. Lehigh Valley, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Kyle Wright (7-4, 4.86 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Ramon Rosso (0-1, 5.34 ERA) for the IronPigs. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers Introduce New Batting Practice Cap, Updated Uniforms
- Stripers Launch New "Veterans Pack" for Veterans Day
- Stripers to Unveil Uniform Updates, New Batting Practice Cap on November 7
- Stripers Host "Flick Or Treat" at Coolray Field on October 26
- Gwinnett Stripers Show Growth at Gates in 2019