Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7
Monday night's game at Sahlen Field truly defined why the Bisons and Knights are both over .500 and in contention in their respective divisions. Unfortunately for Buffalo though, they came up on the short end of the stick in a 9-7 loss in 10 innings between to two powerhouse offenses.
While at least one run was scored in each of the innings except the ninth, it was the two that Ryan Goins drove home in the 10th that were the most important. The infielder, and former-Bison, hit a two-run home run off Jason Adam that also plated Seby Zavala, who began the inning on second base. Goins, who played with the Bisons for parts of 2013-2016, reached double-digit home runs for the first time in his 11-year career with the longball.
Goins homer was the final blow in a game that was back-and-forth from the beginning.
Buffalo was able to recover from a Charlotte run in the first with three of their own in the second frame. Jonathan Davis hit a two-run home run and Andy Burns followed suit leaving the yard two batters later with a solo shot of his own.
The Bisons then scored a run the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh innings to give them the 7-6 lead. Davis singled home Patrick Kivlehan with one out for the would-be go-ahead run, but that didn't last long as Danny Mendick singled in Paulo Orlando to tie the game and eventually send it to extras.
The slugfest saw nearly every starter in both lineups have at least one a hit (16 of the 18 starters), with a pair of those being two of the Top 10 Prospects in all over baseball according to MLB.com. In addition to Bo Bichette being the #8 Prospect, Charlotte has #5 Prospect Luis Robert on their roster. The outfielder showed why he's one of the best young and up-and-coming stars in the game in the extra-inning affair. The 21-year-old finished the contest 2-5 with a walk, two stolen bases and two runs- the first two of the Knights' nine in the game.
Robert's fellow top prospect Bo Bichette had a multi-hit game himself going 2-5 as well, while doubling and plating a run. The shortstop now has hits in 10 of his 13 games during the month, which adds to a .313 batting average (18-57).
Shawn Morimando kept the Knights bats relatively quiet in his four innings of work. The southpaw yielded just two runs (both earned) on three hits and four walks while fanning four Charlotte batters. Morimando has thrown four innings in both of his starts after spending nearly a month on the Injured List.
The Bisons continue their series against the Knights tomorrow on 716 Day. A Beef on Weck Bobblehead will be one of the many promotions on tap for the game.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Blue Jays Select Ken Huckaby as Manager of the Buffalo Bisons
- Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game Returns to Sahlen Field May 31, 2020
- Bisons GM Mike Buczkowski Named 2019 International League "Executive of the Year"
- 'Ballpark Brew Bash' Craft Beer Festival Returns to Sahlen Field September 21
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20