Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Louisville Bats (35-60) lost the second game of a four-game series against the Pawtucket Red Sox (39-55) by a 5-1 score on Tuesday night at McCoy Stadium. Bats right fielder Aristides Aquino hit his 22nd home run of the season, Louisville's lone run of the night.
Aquino's solo shot came in the top of the second inning, giving the Bats a 1-0 lead behind starting pitcher Keury Mella (5-10, 4.88). Mella got the loss despite tossing a quality start, allowing two earned runs on six hits in 6.0 innings of work, walking one and allowing a home run while striking out four on 100 pitches and 62 strikes.
Pawtucket center fielder Rusney Castillo provided the equalizer in the fourth, homering off Mella to tie things up. The PawSox would take the lead in the next inning on an RBI single from Jantzen Witte, and never turned back from there. After Mella left the game, the PawSox jumped on Louisville reliever Jesus Reyes for three runs in the bottom of the seventh, eventually winning by a 5-1 final.
Starting pitcher Matthew Kent (1-4, 8.70) recorded his first Triple-A win, allowing just the Aquino homer in 6.0 innings of work. Mike Shawaryn and Travis Lakins combined for 3.0 scoreless innings out of Pawtucket's bullpen, while Louisville reliever Joel Kuhnel contributed a scoreless bottom of the eighth for the Bats.
Major League rehabber Alex Wood is slated to make his third start for Louisville on Wednesday night with a 6:05 first pitch. Pawtucket will counter with veteran right-hander Erasmo Ramirez (2-6, 4.90) as the PawSox will try to clinch the series.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.