Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night
Indianapolis, IN - The Syracuse Mets racked up season highs in home runs, hits, and runs scored in a 20-1 win over the Indianapolis Indians on Monday night at Victory Field. The Mets had 22 hits, including seven home runs in the game. The 20 runs are the most scored in a game by Syracuse since a 23-11 win at home against the Richmond Braves on July 16, 2006.
Syracuse (46-48) broke the game open right away in the top of the first inning. With two outs, René Rivera hit a two-run home run, Dilson Herrera followed with a home run, and then two batters after that, Travis Taijeron hit a two-run homer to cap off a five-run inning for a 5-0 Mets lead.
Indianapolis (47-46) scored its lone run in the bottom of the second. With one out, Pablo Reyes homered to trim the deficit to four, 5-1.
The Mets responded with eight runs over the next four innings. In the third, with one out and Tejada at third, Arismendy Alcantara hit a sacrifice fly to bring home Tejada for a 6-1 edge. In the fourth, Syracuse added two more two-out runs with RBI singles from Danny Espinosa and Tejada to make it an 8-1 ballgame. The fifth inning saw Rajai Davis single home a run, an Indianapolis error bring home a second run, and an Espinosa double bring home a third run to give the Mets an 11-1 advantage. In the sixth, Alcantara hit a two-run home run for a 13-1 lead.
Syracuse put the exclamation point on the night in the ninth. Espinosa hit a two-run home run, Rivera hit another two-run home run, and Taijeron hit a three-run home run all in the final stanza to push the Syracuse advantage to 20-1.
Mets starter Corey Oswalt was stellar in six innings pitched with just one run allowed, no walks, and four strikeouts. Relievers Brooks Pounders, Ryan O'Rourke, and Chris Flexen all pitched scoreless innings to close out the game.
Syracuse and Indianapolis continue their four-game series on Tuesday night. RHP Drew Gagnon will be on the mound for the Mets opposite RHP Mitch Keller for the Indians. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Minor League Baseball Offering Fans Free Preview of MiLB.TV
- Syracuse Mets Postpone Meet the Syracuse Mets Preseason Fundraiser
- Syracuse Mets Announce the Return of Super Pack Tickets in 2020
- Syracuse Mets Announce Packed 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Syracuse Mets to Host Second Annual Meet the Syracuse Mets Preseason Fundraiser