Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The PawSox (39-55) defeated the Louisville Bats (35-60) by a score of 5-1, thanks to an impressive start from 26-year-old lefty Matthew Kent. Pawtucket also hit two home runs on the night, making for an impressive all-around victory.
The Bats started the scoring with a 2nd inning leadoff home run off the bat of right fielder Aristides Aquino. This was Aquino's 22nd homer of the season, which ranks 5th overall in the International League this season.
Rusney Castillo fired back, hitting his own solo home run in the bottom of the 4th inning. This would tie up the score at 1 apiece.
In the bottom of the 5th, Chad De La Guerra hit a one-out double and was singled in one batter later by Jantzen Witte. This gave the PawSox a 2-1 lead. Witte has been on fire recently, batting .371 in his last 10 games.
Pawtucket busted the game open in the bottom of the 7th, as Chad De La Guerra blasted a 3-run home run off reliever Jesus Reyes, bringing the score to 5-1. This is De La Guerra's second game since returning from the injured list, going 2-4 with 3 RBIs on the night.
Left-hander Matthew Kent got the start tonight, firing 6 strong innings of 3-hit, 1-run baseball. He struck out 5 batters in his first career win at the Triple-A level.
The PawSox continue their series with the Bats tomorrow night at 6:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Erasmo Ramírez (2-6, 4.90) is set to square off against Louisville's rehabbing-lefty Alex Wood (0-1, 8.10).
Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:35 p.m.
This 12-game homestand represents the longest scheduled homestand for the PawSox in 27 years - since a 12-game homestand in 1992 (from July 29 - August 9).
The Charlotte Knights come to town over the weekend of July 19-21 for a 3-game set highlighted by Saturday, July 20 at 6:15 pm on Alex Cora World Series Champion Bobblehead Night followed by Margaritaville post-game Fireworks.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.