Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55)
Game 95, Away 47
Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55)
RHP Keury Mella (5-9, 5.00) vs. LHP Matthew Kent (0-4, 10.50)
7:05 PM | Tuesday, July 16, 2019 | McCoy Stadium
LISTEN: Nick Curran, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
TONIGHT'S GAME: Louisville and Pawtucket continue their four-game series on Tuesday night with the Bats hoping to knot the series at one game apiece. Last night, Louisville played in its lowest-scoring game since mid-May and will try to bounce back offensively as right-hander Keury Mella is set to make his second post All-Star break start.
AGAINST PAWTUCKET: The Bats and PawSox played in a low-scoring 2-1 game on Monday night after scoring 18 runs in each of their previous 2 matchups. Pawtucket took a 93-92 advantage in the all-time series with the win last night, in what was the clubs' first meeting at McCoy Stadium this season.
HOMERLESS GAME: There were no home runs hit in Monday's series opener, just the 12th time the Bats have played in a game without a home run by either team this season. Before last night, it last occurred over a month ago on June 11, also against Pawtucket. The Bats fell to 5-7 in games where neither team goes deep.
RUN SUPPORT IN QUALITY STARTS: Right-hander Tejay Antone earned his second quality start of the season by tossing 6.0 innings and allowing just 2 runs. It was Louisville's 23rd start of at least 6.0 innings and 3 or fewer earned runs this season.
- The Bats fell to 11-12 when getting a quality start this season, already matching their 2018 loss total in that scenario, when they finished 36-12 in quality starts.
- In the 23 QS this season, LOU's offense has scored a total of 90 runs, 3.91 runs per game. In LOU's 71 games without a quality start, the offense has scored 370 runs, 5.21 runs per game.
LOW LOW LOW: The Bats were defeated 2-1 last night, playing in their lowest-scoring game since May 15, a 2-0 win in game one of a doubleheader at Syracuse. It was tied for Louisville's lowest-scoring nine inning game this season, occurring twice previously on April 8 at Columbus and April 21 at Indianapolis, both also being 2-1 losses.
A GAME OF RISP: The Bats failed to capitalize on run-scoring opportunities on Monday, going 0-for-9 as a team with runners in scoring position. The 9 at-bats are tied for the most in a game this season in which LOU did not get a hit, also occurring on April 21 at Indianapolis. When the Bats do not get at least one hit with RISP, they are 1-14 this season, earning their lone win on May 15 in game one of a DH, a 2-0 victory at Syracuse.
SOMEBODY'S CLOSER: With 110 home runs as a team this season, Louisville is just 3 away from the 113 they hit in 2018. LOU is averaging 1.17 homers per game (110 HR in 94 G) this season, compared to 0.80 homers per game (113 HR in 137 G) last season. The Bats are currently on pace to hit approximately 164 home runs on the season, which would come close to their franchise-record 166 set by the 1999 Redbirds.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Gagnon, Tejada Propel Mets Past Indians, 5-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians - Syracuse Mets
- Brito's Hit Caps Bisons Rally in 5-3 Win over Knights - Buffalo Bisons
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Fall to Lehigh Valley Despite Gausman's Quality Start - Gwinnett Stripers
- Straily, Williams and Reinheimer Help Tides Double up Rochester, 6-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Daniel Camarena sets new Triple-A career-high with 10 strikeouts in victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kent, Pawtucket Offense Dazzle in Win 5-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Contest to Bisons 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Hits 22nd Home Run in 5-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Lose Second Game of Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cider & Wine Festival Returns Saturday, October 5 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-46) vs. Syracuse Mets (46-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-59) at Pawtucket Red Sox (38-55) - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers Award Monthly Grant to Mending the Gap, Inc. - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Wear the 'Blue & Gold' for Hockey Night at the Ballpark, Friday, August 16 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Fall Short in Extra-Inning Slugfest, 9-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Tejay Antone Named International League Pitcher of the Week
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80)
- Mashers Crush Indians, 8-2
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80)