Stingrays Take Down Gladiators 2-1 in the Shootout
Duluth, GA - Forward Braden Pimm scored the game-winning shootout goal and goaltender Jeff Jakaitis made 25 saves and stopped five of six breakaway attempts to guide the South Carolina Stingrays (17-11-1-4) over the Gwinnett Gladiators (10-19-1-1) 2-1 in the shootout at The Arena at Gwinnett Center Thursday evening. The win pushes the Stingrays' winning streak over the Gladiators to five games.
The Stingrays broke the scoreless tie with 1:13 remaining in the second period when defenseman Scott Ford blasted a rebound past Gladiators goaltender Mike Lee (SOL, 32 saves on 33 shots) off the right-wing circle. Forward John Mitchell fired the initial shot just outside the right post and forward Patrick Gaul added the second assist.
Early in the third period, Gladiators forward Sean Berkstresser tied the contest on the power play redirecting a shot from defenseman Tristin Llewellyn over the glove of Jakaitis at 4:15. Overtime would not be enough and the two sides quickly moved to a shootout. The Stingrays lit the lamp in the bottom of the second round off forward Brandon Hynes' attempt, but the Gladiators responded in the fifth round thanks to forward Greg Carey. In the sixth frame, Pimm buried the game-winning marker. The Stingrays finished the contest 0-for-1 on the power play while the Gladiators went 1-for-2.
The Stingrays continue a three-game road trip on Saturday, January 10 against the Gwinnett Gladiators at 7:00 p.m. at The Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Georgia and return to the North Charleston Coliseum for a three-game in three-day home weekend starting Friday, January 16 against the Toledo Walleye at 7:05 p.m. Grab a Friday Family Four Pack including four tickets to the game, four hotdogs, four sodas and large popcorn for $55! All college and military tickets are $7 will ID at the Coliseum Box office! Buy Friday Family Four Pack
On Saturday, January 17, the Stingrays celebrate Charleston County Environmental Management Patrick Gaul Bobblehead Giveaway Night against the Indianapolis Fuel at 7:05! Be one of the first 1,000 fans to grab a bobblehead of the Stingrays' fan favorite!
The weekend wraps up Sunday, January 18 with Frozen with the Children's Museum of the Lowcountry at 3:05 p.m. against the Walleye. Sing your favorite songs from the Disney classic and dress as your favorite characters! Sunday is also Crews Subaru Family Sunday and Kids Day with $5 kids tickets and $5 kids meals on the Coliseum concourse! Stay after the game and bring your ice skates for the Health First Frozen Postgame Skate with the Rays!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 8, 2015
- Stingrays Win in Shootout, 2-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Take Down Gladiators 2-1 in the Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Matt Mangene Selected as An ECHL All-Star - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Add Two in Trio of Trades - Indy Fuel
- Defenseman Garrett Haar Selected to 2015 ECHL All-Star Team - South Carolina Stingrays
- Eagles Make Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Transactions - January 8 - ECHL
- Rush Acquire Griggs off Waivers, Davis from SPHL - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Gauthier Named to ECHL All-Star Team - Wichita Thunder
- Lukas Sutter Named CCM/ECHL All-Star - Stockton Thunder
- Tyson Fawcett Named as ECHL All-Star Alternate - Brampton Beast
- Byron Froese Selected to 2015 ECHL All-Star Classic - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bruneteau Named ECHL All-Star Alternate - Indy Fuel
- Myles Bell Earns ECHL All-Star Game Selection - Evansville IceMen
- K-Wings' Valk Named to All-Star Team - Kalamazoo Wings
- Roy Named to ECHL All Star Team - Idaho Steelheads
- Connor Jones Named to the 2015 ECHL All-Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces Forward Olivier Archambault Selected to ECHL All-Star Team - Alaska Aces
- Royals Forward Cam Reid Selected to ECHL All-Star Team - Reading Royals
- Shamanski to Represent Jackals at ECHL All-Star Game - Elmira Jackals
- Warriors' Malcolm Named to ECHL All-Star Team - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Alex Krushelnyski Named ECHL All-Star - Utah Grizzlies
- Scott Macaulay Earns Spot on ECHL All-Star Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner Named ECHL All-Star Alternate - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Chris Crane Named to 2015 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brenden Walker Named All-Star Alternate - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oslanski Named as An All-Star Alternate - Rapid City Rush
- Reserves and Alternates Named for 2015 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Teddy Bear Toss Garners More Than 3,600 Stuffed Toys - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Al Sims to Make Coaching Debut Friday against Missouri - Evansville IceMen
- Milner Called up by AHL's Iowa Wild - Quad City Mallards
- Gladiators Game Preview: Stingrays at Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Visit Gladiators Tonight in First Contest of 2015 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - January 8 - ECHL
- Reign Pour Offense on Condors in 5-1 Rout - Ontario Reign
- Chris Francis rolls with three point game, Aces 5-0-2 in 7 games - Alaska Aces
- Slow Start Hurts Condors in Loss to Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Can't Catch Alaska - Utah Grizzlies
- Maxwell Scores Two Special Teams Goals but Thunder Fall to Colorado - Stockton Thunder
- Royals Notch Twentieth Win, 5-2, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Eagles Outlast Thunder 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.