Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4
Willmar, Minn. - After two consecutive victories against the Eau Claire Express, the Willmar Stingers did battle with the Thunder Bay Border Cats on Thursday night.
For most of the game, it was a back and forth affair with Thunder Bay putting up two in the third innings just to have the Stingers answer with three runs of their own.
In the top of the fourth the Border Cats put up another two giving themselves a 4-3 lead.
Fast forward to the ninth, same score and the Stingers responded. John Trousdale (Alabama) led off the inning with a leadoff double, followed by a Davis Elliot (Northern Alabama) pinch hit bunt single putting runners on the corners with nobody out. Matt Malkin (Alabama) would hit a sacrifice fly to tie the ball game up scoring his Crimson Tide teammate Trousdale. Jaxon Hallmark (Nebraska) singled putting runners at first and second. With Richie Garcia (Florida Gulf Cost) at the plate a double steel ensued with a wild throw from the catcher Gunner Hellstrom (Nebraska) allowing Elliot to advance home for the walk off victory.
Willmar after the victory advances to 10-7 on the year. They will play tomorrow as the Alexandria Beetles in Alexandria, Minnesota. Once again playing the Thunder Bay Border Cats. First pitch 7:05 ct.
Box Score: http://northwoods.bbstats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=441061
The 2018 Stingers season is presented by Marcus Construction. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
CDI Player of the Game
Tonight's Center for Diagnostic Imaging player of the game was Davis Elliot. CDI is your local medical imaging provider. It's your choice where you go for medical imaging, for MRI, CT, mammograms and pain injections, choose CDI. Visit online at myCDI.com/CentralMN.
Davis Elliot - PH
1-1 vs. Thunder Bay
Singled, scored winning run
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Booyah
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Willmar Stingers Stories
- Stingers Schedule Announced for the 2019 Season
- Eight Players Set to Return for the 2019 Stingers Season
- Over $21,200 Generated for Community Organizations in 2018
- Historical Society Seeking Nominations for 2019 Hall of Fame Class
- Henning, Leyva, Caselli All Return to Coach in 2019