Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7
Green Bay, Wis. - The Rockford Rivets (10-6) dropped a cruel decision against the Green Bay Bullfrogs (6-10) on Friday night at Joannes Stadium due to a walk-off walk. The scored was knotted at seven in the bottom of the ninth with two outs when Rivets' reliever Tanner Propst walked Rudy Aguilar with the bases loaded to score Austin Bates and give the Bullfrogs the win, 8-7.
The Rivets were leading 7-3 going into the bottom of the ninth after Cade Bunnell and Jacob Vander Wal each brought home runs in the top half of the frame. After reliever Nolan Gazouski walked four batters and hit two with pitches, Manager Brian Smith took him out with the bases loaded and the winning run on second with only one out. Propst came in and struck out the first batter he saw before walking the next two and bring Bates home for the Bullfrogs' win.
Rockford starting pitcher Cooper Cain continued his streak of strong outings by throwing seven innings scoreless, striking out seven, walking one, and only allowing two hits. Manager Brian Smith spoke highly of the Valdosta State righty.
"Cooper did a great job tonight," said Smith, "You can't ask him for anything more than he's done his first three starts...we're really proud of the progress he's made."
For his performance on the mound, Cain was awarded Pitcher of the Night by the Northwoods League. Cain has been named Pitcher of the Night on all three starts he's made this season.
Rockford's offense was highlighted by left fielder Jacob Vander Wal. Vander Wal got the runs started with an RBI double to drive home Cade Bunnell in the second. Vander Wal then tacked on to his day with a solo home run to deep right field in the fourth inning, and a two-RBI double in the fifth to put the Rivets up 4-0. Vander Wal finished 3-4 with five RBIs and one run, while Bunnell also was impressive at 3-3 with one RBI and two runs.
The Rockford Rivets' win streak ends at four with the loss. The Rivets will be back on the road tomorrow against the Kenosha Kingfish (6-9) to attempt to get back to their winning ways. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM at Simmons Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.