Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory
Green Bay, Wisc. - The host Green Bay Bullfrogs (6-10) trailed 7-3 entering the bottom of the ninth inning before the Frogs scored five straight runs in the frame to complete an incredible 8-7 walk-off triumph over the visiting Rockford Rivets (10-6) from Joannes Stadium Wednesday evening. Green Bay was held scoreless through the first seven innings of action in a gem thrown by Rivets starting pitcher Cooper Cain. However, the Bullfrog offense finally broke through with a three-run eighth inning to ignite the wild comeback.
Green Bay begins another four-game road trip tomorrow night, visiting the Madison Mallards for the opener of a two-game series from the Duck Pond at Warner Park. First pitch is slated for a 7:05 p.m. start. Fans can tune in to the live radio broadcast on WOCO (107.1FM) or online at WOCO.Caster.FM.
For the second consecutive night, Tate Soderstrom (Freshman, Univ. of Arizona) led the Bullfrog offensive attack with a 2-for-4 effort at the dish, tallying two RBIs. Eddy Gonzalez (Junior, Incarnate Word) finished 1-for-4 with two runs driven in, while Cooper Morrison (Sophomore, UC Davis) and Alejandro Gonzalez (Freshman, Hillsborough CC) each went 1-for-4.
Rockford broke the scoreless tie in the visiting half of the second inning on a RBI double by Jake Vander Wal to grab the early 1-0 advantage. Vander Wal then blasted a solo home run in the fourth to stretch the margin out to 2-0. The Rivets then added two in the fifth and one run in the eighth to extend the lead out to 5-0 before Green Bay began the comeback trail in the bottom frame.
The Bullfrogs loaded the bases with two outs before a RBI single from Eddy Gonzalez ended the shut-out and made it a 5-1 game. One batter later, Soderstrom blooped a two-run single into left field to cut the deficit down to 5-3.
Rockford quickly got two runs back in the ninth on a RBI single and sacrifice fly to make it a 7-3 contest and give the Rivets some insurance. In the home half of the ninth inning, the crazy come-from-behind effort took place. Green Bay knotted the score at 7-7 runs on a hit by pitch, two straight walks and a wild pitch with Jake Munoz (Sophomore, Univ. of San Francisco) scoring the tying run.
The Frogs batted around the order as Rudy Aguilar (Sophomore, St. Johns) stepped up to the plate for the second time in the inning with the bases still juiced. Aguilar then watched a 3-1 pitch go by for the walk-off walk scoring Austin Bates (Freshman, Chipola College) to give the Bullfrogs an amazing win at home.
Green Bay relief pitcher Tyler Rosas (Junior, Dixie State) got the win, improving to 2-0. Rockford southpaw reliever Tanner Propst took the loss, falling to 0-1. Zach Autin (Sophomore, Nicholls State) led the Bullfrog pitching staff, allowing one earned run on three hits with two strikeouts in 3 1/3 innings of relief.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Green Bay Bullfrogs Stories
- Bullfrogs Blow Late Lead in Tough Loss to Growlers in Extras
- Bullfrogs Blanked by Dock Spiders in Series Finale
- Frogs Fall to Dock Spiders on Walk-Off Single in Extra Innings
- Bullfrogs Snap Mallards Win Streak in Huge Road Victory
- Bullfrogs Late Rally Falls Short in Tough Loss at Madison