Mallards Walk-Off Again
Madison, Wis. - There were more late-inning heroics at the Duck Pond on Wednesday night as The Madison Mallards (13-3) won their 11thstraight ballgame on Tyler Plantier's (Richmond) walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth. After trailing 4-0 early in the ballgame, the Mallards stormed back to beat the Lakeshore Chinooks (7-9) 6-5 to seal their fifth consecutive series sweep.
After the Chinooks jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the second inning, the Mallards slowly chipped away, scoring runs in the second and fifth to pull within a run. The Mallards struggled to push runners across in key moments until two scored in the bottom of the sixth when Lakeshore catcher Sebastian Holte-Mancera dropped the ball trying to tag Max Hewitt(Oklahoma State) at the plate. Mallards shortstop Garrett Kueberhustled in from second as the ball rolled to the backstop, giving the Mallards a 5-4 lead.
The Chinooks then tied the game in the top of the eighth, setting the stage for another potential exciting Mallards victory.
Mallards closer Trace Norkus (North Florida) was brilliant in the late innings again, this time working 1.2 hitless frames and walking only one. Norkus kept the game tied in the top of the ninth, striking out pinch hitter Alex Stevenson to strand the go-ahead run at third.
To lead off the bottom of the ninth, Mallards first baseman Jake Randa(NW Florida State) ripped a line drive down the left field line that skidded past a sliding Cole Turney, allowing Randa to pull into second with a double. Then, Mallards third baseman Tyler Plantier (Richmond) stepped to the plate looking to knock in Randa and give the Mallards their second consecutive walk-off win at the Duck Pond. Plantier did just that, cranking a line drive into centerfield, sending Randa home as the winning run.
- Madison shortstop Garrett Kueber collected three hits and two RBI while also swiping a bag. Kueber's RBI single in the second inning gave the Mallards their first tally on the board.
- Mallards catcher Hunter Hisky cranked his second home run of the season, a solo shot in the fifth inning that pulled the Mallards within a run. Hisky's blast struck the face of the top level of the Great Dane Duck Blind Suites.
- Mallards newcomer Turner Frenchworked two scoreless innings out of the pen. The lefty showed off an effective arsenal of pitches from his side-arm arm slot. French struck out a pair and allowed only one hit.
The Mallards take on the Green Bay Bullfrogs tomorrow night at 7:05 PM at the Duck Pond and the game will feature Chris Clark, a professional stunt rider, presented by Schwinn. The game also features Diamond Center Date Night meaning the first 50 dating couples will receive a prize package courtesy of The Diamond Center. Gates open at 5:30 PM. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.