Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek
FOND DU LAC, WI- The bats were hot for the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (8-8) who took down the Battle Creek Bombers (4-11) with a final score of 10-3.
The Dock Spiders played a complete all around game which was shown on the scoreboard not only because of the score, but how the scoring was spread out. In the 8 innings that Fondy took swings in they scored in 6 of them.
Chris Ayers (Indiana State) led things off in the bottom of the second and blasted one into right field in which he would reach all the way to third base for his first triple of the season. Ayers would then score as Dayton Provost(Oklahoma State) hit a sacrifice fly into center field putting the Spiders up 1-0. With the hit the Westfield, IN native now has hits in four straight games. His bat is really starting to heat up and he added, "It feels good. I kind of got a way from my approach a little bit early on but, tonight I made a good adjustment and hopefully I can keep it going."
If he has not showed off his speed enough already Brad Hudson (Southern Illinois) surely let the fans know that he is a speed demon. Standing at the plate with one out in the 3rd inning Hudson roped one into right field which tipped off the glove of the center field dropping a foot in front of the warning track. When asked what the thought process was after it left his bat he said, "When I saw it hit the ground it was guns blazing and the plan was to get around the bases as quick as possible."
The Bombers would finally get on the board in the 4th inning after Jalen Thomas (Madonna University) hit a sacrifice fly into center.
The Dock Spiders answered right back with two of their own however increasing their lead to 4-1 after four innings.
With a 5-1 lead heading into the 7th inning the Bombers were able to add on two in the top of the frame decreasing the deficit to two runs.
After Cole Zabowski (Ole Miss) was able to reach on an error to lead things off, Andrew Bullock (Western Carolina) muscled a hit into right center field for a double. Two batters later Ayers would lift a hit into the outfield resulting in Zaboswki scoring.
Heading into the bottom of the 8th with a 7-3 lead the Dock Spiders were not done. Mitch Boe (Iowa) hit single in between the second and first baseman for a base hit, his second of the night. Hudson following decided to lay a bunt that dribbled down the third base side and was able to beat out the throw to first. With runners on the corners due to Boe advancing to third on the Hudson bunt, Zabowski stood at the dish with one out. The Ole Miss Rebel took a swing on the first pitch and jacked one all the way to the warning track in right center sending both base runners home. The next batter up, Bullock, batted in Zabowski with a single putting the Dock Spiders lead at 10-3.
Zack Kesterson (Arkansas Tech) started the game for Fondy and got the win on the mound finishing with a line of; 5 1/3, 5 hits, 1 run, 3 W, and 3 K. Nate Thomas (Northern Illinois) has been excellent all season long for the Spiders coming in on the mound late in games. The South Bend, IN native who came in for the final three outs, retired the side and struck out the last two batters.
For Fond du Lac it is the third straight two game series where they have lost the first night and then have rebounded the second night. When Ayers was asked about the bounce backs he admitted it is something they can do but stated, "I think we need to get on the attack more. We're looking to sweep, not looking to avoid being swept."
Fond du Lac will travel to Mequon, WI tomorrow to take on the Lakeshore Chinooks first pitch at 6:35 PM. The series is tied at 1-1 between the Dock Spiders and the Chinooks this season.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.