Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off
KALAMAZOO, MI - Another walk-off hit for Niko Kavadas (Notre Dame) carried the Growlers to their third win in a row. Kavadas was the player of the night, tallying all three of Kalamazoo's RBIs against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters including the walk-off to center field. Starting pitcher Kyle Virbisky was dealing on the mound with no runs scored in 6.0 innings pitched tonight.
To start the evening, Ivan Johnson got on base courtesy of an error by Wisconsin Rapid's first baseman. Johnson later got out on a fielder's choice from Sam Crail, but during the rundown, Crail advanced to second base to put him in scoring position. Baron Radcliff moved Crail over to third and Kavadas then stepped up to the plate. His single to right field easily scored Crail making the score 1- 0 in the bottom of the first.
Kavadas was the man again in the bottom of the third, scoring Johnson from second base on a single to center field making the score 2-0 in favor of the Growlers. The Rapids Rafters remained down by two into the top of the eighth inning, when Kalamazoo pitcher Jeff Burch gave up a solo home run to Jarrod Watkins to cut the Growlers lead in half.
In the top of the ninth inning, Growlers pitcher Mason Shinabery entered to attempt the save. Brody Wofford then hit a single to right field to start it for Wisconsin. Wofford then moved to second base on a sac bunt by Steven Rivas. Wofford advanced himself by stealing third base, then scored on a sac fly by Matt Schmidt tying the ballgame at two apiece.
The Growlers then got on base in the bottom of the ninth when Jonathan Foster got a single to center-field. Field Manager Piechocki then put Donovan Clark in as a pinch runner. Clark quickly stold second base to put the winning run in scoring position. After two strike outs by Rafters pitcher Mason McReaken, Niko Kavadas stepped up to the plate and walked it off with a double to center- field to score Donovan Clark from second base.
The Growlers are back in action against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters again tomorrow night for Pride Night with OutFront Kalamazoo. First pitch is at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.