Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4
Bismarck, ND - Landon Stephens (Miami-Ohio) belted two homeruns in the first three innings and earned the Northwoods League Player of the Night award as he helped St. Cloud (8-8) defeat Bismarck (10-6) 7-4. The Rox split the two-game series at Bismarck Municipal Ballpark. Ryan Weisenberg (Georgetown) hit his first career homerun in a St. Cloud Rox uniform with a three-run blast in the third inning. Wednesday's game was the most homeruns in a game for St. Cloud this year.
The scoring began in the first inning with Stephens as he hit a two-run shot to leftfield and gave the Rox an early 2-0 lead. The score would remain the same until two innings later, when Weisenberg delivered on a three-run homerun, also to leftfield, that extended St. Cloud's lead. Later in the half inning, Stephens blasted a solo shot over the leftfield wall in his second plate appearance. The Rox went up 6-0 at that point. However, Bismarck would respond in the bottom of the third inning with three runs of their own.
St. Cloud wouldn't score again until the top of the ninth inning, when Louis Baker (Scottsdale Community College) hit a sac-fly to leftfield and scored Sean Ross (San Diego State), who tagged up from third base. Ross had a triple to lead off the inning. Those seven runs were all that the Rox needed to claim the victory over the Larks, their second road win in 2018.
Kyle Boser (St. Cloud State) started the game for St. Cloud and earned his first victory of the season, pitching six innings and striking out four batters. Will Warren (Southeastern Louisiana) then tossed three stellar innings out of the bullpen, giving up one hit and earning five punch-outs. He earned the save in the win.
St. Cloud now travels to Eau Claire and open a two-game series with the Express on Thursday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05.
The Rox are in their seventh season of Northwoods League Baseball in 2018. Single game and group tickets for the entire season are on sale now. For more information on purchasing tickets, visit the Rox Ticket Office on the west end of the Municipal Athletic Complex, call 320-240-9798 or visit www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
Landon Stephens of the St. Cloud Rox
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Booyah
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- Rox Sign Four Infielders for 2019 Season
- Rox Announce Four Players Set to Return in 2019
- Rox Announce Schedule for 2019 Season
- Two Former Rox Staffers Get Recognized as Top Broadcasters
- Rox Continue Strong Community Involvement in 2018, Raising Nearly $34,000 for Charity