St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI - Andrew Mitchel (San Jose State) tossed his best outing of the year, throwing six innings and striking out seven batters as he led the Rox to a 3-1 victory over the (4-13) Eau Claire Express. He gave up one hit and allowed no runs in his third start of the season. The win puts (9-8) St. Cloud over the .500 mark for the first time this season.
For the third game in a row, the Rox struck first as Gus Steiger (South Dakota State) scored Bobby Seymour (Wake Forest) from third base and took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning.
It was the same situation in the fifth inning, when Steiger singled and scored Seymour from third base. It was Steiger's fourth RBI of the season.
The last run from St. Cloud came in the seventh inning, when Ryan Davis (Georgetown) ripped a two-out double off the rightfield wall and scored Steiger from second base.
Once Mitchel was relieved after the sixth inning, John Matthews (Kent State) finished the game for the Rox as he pitched three innings and gave up two hits and struck out two batters. After picking up the win in his first appearance of the year, Matthews clinched his first save of the season. Between the two pitchers, they combined for nine strikeouts and only issued two walks.
St. Cloud will look to sweep Eau Claire tomorrow at Carson Park before visiting Waterloo this weekend. First pitch between the Rox and Express is scheduled for 7:05.
The Rox are in their seventh season of Northwoods League Baseball in 2018. Single game and group tickets for the entire season are on sale now. For more information on purchasing tickets, visit the Rox Ticket Office on the west end of the Municipal Athletic Complex, call 320-240-9798 or visit www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
St. Cloud Rox pitcher Andrew Mitchel
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Ayers' RBI Single Puts Dock Spiders Past Chinooks 2-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Suffer Tough Walk-Off Loss by Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Takes Series Opener against Eau Claire - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Score 5 in the 5th, Beat Loggers 6-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Stingers Walk It Off, Win 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Huskies Win Fifth Straight, Extend Lead in Northern Division - Duluth Huskies
- Shut-Down Bullpen Seals 12th Straight Win - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Growlers Win in Another Walk-Off - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Lemasters Leads Honkers Past Larks - Rochester Honkers
- Deims Is Money in Bucks 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Battle Creek - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Announce New Corporate Advertising Manager - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Mallards Look to Make It 12 Straight - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Wrestle with Growlers for First Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Rivets in Wild Comeback Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks Can't Hold Early Lead As Mallards Walk Off In Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Landon Stephens Homers Twice, Rox Beat Larks 7-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Split Series with Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Walk-Off Again - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-5 Decision to Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Find Control in Ninth, Lose 8-7 - Rockford Rivets
- Bats Heat up in a 10-3 Win over Battle Creek - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- Rox Extend Broadcast Agreement with Townsquare Media, Hughes to Return in 2019
- Rodriguez to Return as Rox Field Manager in 2019
- Rox Finish 2018 Season with 9-2 Win
- Two Rox Pitchers Voted Postseason All-Stars, Hughes Named Announcer of Year
- Rox Fall to Express in Series Opener