Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (13-9-3) scored four-unanswered goals to finish the night with a 5-1 win over the Kansas City Mavericks (15-5-2) on Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena.
After controlling the pace and creating numerous opportunities in the first period, the Steelheads found the back of the net to cap off the opening frame. At 19:52, Steelheads forward Robbie Payne pitched a backhanded shot from the right circle for his first professional goal, giving the Steelheads a 1-0 lead.
The Mavericks answered at 1:29 of the second period thanks to forward Joey Sides, tying the game at 1-1. However, the Steelheads pressed ahead starting at 6:05 when forward Reid Petryk snapped a shot from the left circle, taking back the lead, 2-1. After a waived off goal, the Steelheads scored again anyway at 10:41 when forward Kale Kessy was fed off the left post for a one-time shot, doubling the lead in the process at 3-1.
The Steelheads added two more goals in the third period to help close out the game. At 3:03, Petryk slotted his second goal of the night and second-straight game with a power play goal, spreading the lead to 4-1. Steelheads forward Brad McClure stashed in a rebound to cap off the evening, setting the final score to 5-1.
Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (2-2-1) halted 30 of 31 shots in the win, while Mavericks netminder Nick Schneider (2-2-1) turned aside 28 of 33 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads continue their three-game weekend against the Mavericks on Friday, Dec. 14 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to IdahoSteelheads.com.
The Holiday Hat Trick is here! Get tickets and a Steelheads cap as your perfect stocking stuffer for the holiday season! Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2018
- Cyclones Push Winning Streak to Five - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games - Florida Everblades
- G Komm Recalled to Lehigh Valley; Royals Sign D Armstrong - Reading Royals
- Forward Justin Parizek Placed on Suspension - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Brent Pedersen Receives PTO from Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Norfolk - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Re-Sign Baptista - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia - Allen Americans
- Thunder Adds Former Michigan State Netminder Minney - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Angus Redmond Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jacksonville's Homecoming Spoiled by Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Non-Profit Awareness Night on December 22 - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Utah's 3-1 loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Kalk Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 4-2 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Drop First of Three at Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Clinch Series with 2-1 Overtime Win over Grizzlies
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone
- Brad McClure Joins Steelheads from Texas Stars