Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia
The Allen Americans will participate in a fundraiser during their game against the Wichita Thunder at 7:05 p.m. Jan. 11 at the Allen Event Center, 200 E. Stacy Road.
Proceeds from a percentage of tickets sold will go directly to the Brooks family to help offset medical and related expenses for their three-year-old son, Wyatt, who is battling leukemia. Tickets are $18 each, and must be purchased via this link only, in order for the proceeds to benefit the Brooks family: allenamericans.com/wyatt
Last June, Wyatt developed pinprick-like marks and bruises on his body that his parents noticed after returning home from a weekend at the beach. Born with Down syndrome and combating infections, viruses, and odd rashes for several months, this raised flags, as several of the symptoms were indicative of leukemia, a potential health risk to those with Down syndrome. Wyatt was taken immediately to the emergency room where test results revealed he had cancer: Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).
"Ever since Wyatt was diagnosed with leukemia everything has changed. My little brother is fighting for his life every single day," said Wyatt's sister, Sophia.
According to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, ALL is the most common type of childhood cancer and occurs most often in children between the ages of three to five and affecting slightly more boys than girls.
In addition to leukemia, another health risk for individuals with Down syndrome is heart defects. Wyatt was born with various defects; open-heart surgery repaired two, but one was irreparable and one may require future surgery.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2018
- Cyclones Push Winning Streak to Five - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games - Florida Everblades
- G Komm Recalled to Lehigh Valley; Royals Sign D Armstrong - Reading Royals
- Forward Justin Parizek Placed on Suspension - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Brent Pedersen Receives PTO from Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Norfolk - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Re-Sign Baptista - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia - Allen Americans
- Thunder Adds Former Michigan State Netminder Minney - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Angus Redmond Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jacksonville's Homecoming Spoiled by Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Non-Profit Awareness Night on December 22 - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Utah's 3-1 loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Kalk Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 4-2 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Drop First of Three at Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.