Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1
Wheeling, WV - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, lost to the Wheeling Nailers, by a score of 3-1 on Wednesday night at Wesbanco Arena in front of an announced crowd of 1,140.
The Americans losing streak has reached four games after the loss to Wheeling, in a rematch of the 2016 Kelly Cup Finals. After the Nailers scored in the first period, the Americans tied it in the second period on Zach Pochiro's team-leading 11th goal of the season from Dante Salituro and Spencer Asuchak.
Wheeling would respond with two more in the third period. Nick Saracino's power play goal in the third turned out to be the game winning goal for Wheeling. Kevin Spinozzi would score two minutes and fourteen seconds after Saracino to make it a 3-1 lead. The Americans pulled the goalie late in the third frame but were unable to put anymore past Nailers netminder Jordan Ruby. Wheeling outshot the Americans 36 to 27 for the game. Wheeling was 1 for 6 on the power play while Allen was 0 for 3.
With the loss the Americans fall to 6-19-0-2 on the season. The club is in the middle of a six-game road trip with three this weekend against the Reading Royals. It will be the first ever meetings between the two clubs, and the first time Allen and Reading Owner Jack Gulati, will see his teams square-off against each other.
The Americans return home next Wednesday as they open a homestand against Cincinnati. Tickets for all home games are on sale at Allen Event Center Box Office or online at www.allenamericans.com.
1. WHL - J. Ruby
2. WHL - N. Saracino
3. WHL - K. Spinozzi
Americans Next Home Game
Wednesday, December 19th vs Cincinnati
Venue: Allen Event Center 7:05 pm
Images from this story
Allen Americans RW Zach Pochiro (18) vs. the Wheeling Nailers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2018
- Cyclones Push Winning Streak to Five - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games - Florida Everblades
- G Komm Recalled to Lehigh Valley; Royals Sign D Armstrong - Reading Royals
- Forward Justin Parizek Placed on Suspension - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Brent Pedersen Receives PTO from Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Norfolk - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Re-Sign Baptista - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia - Allen Americans
- Thunder Adds Former Michigan State Netminder Minney - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Angus Redmond Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jacksonville's Homecoming Spoiled by Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Non-Profit Awareness Night on December 22 - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Utah's 3-1 loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Kalk Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 4-2 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Drop First of Three at Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.