'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Three different players scored, Jamie Phillips stopped 23 shots to earn his first shutout of the season, and the Florida Everblades earned a 3-0 win over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Thursday night at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Joe Cox scored his team-leading 11th goal of the season for what proved to be the game-winning tally, and Shane Walsh and Derek Sheppard added scores for Florida (15-5-4-0, 34 pts.), which earned its fifth straight win and stretched its unbeaten streak to an ECHL-best 12 games.
Cox started the scoring for the 'Blades just nine minutes into the opening frame, the third straight game Florida has scored first. After forcing a turnover just outside the Greenville blue line, Cox carried the puck into the offensive zone, angled to the right circle and roofed the puck on Greenville goaltender Chris Nell.
Shane Walsh increased the 'Blades lead over the Swamp Rabbits (10-15-3-0, 23 pts.) to two with his third goal in a Florida sweater. On a rush into the zone, Walsh had his initial shot blocked in the slot. But he stayed with the play, got it back and fired it past Nell to make it 2-0 with 58 seconds left in the first.
After a scoreless second period, Sheppard gave Florida a three-goal cushion with his seventh goal of the season with less than seven minutes to play. With the 'Blades shorthanded, Sheppard carried the puck into the offensive zone down the right wing. He sliced his way through the right circle, pulled the puck to his forehand and lifted it over Nell as he crossed through the low slot to the left side of the net.
Phillips made sure that three-goal support was more than enough. Greenville made a push in the third period, but Phillips made 12 saves in the frame, his most stops in one period in the game, to preserve his second career ECHL shutout and fifth straight win.
Florida will try to stretch its winning streak to six games when it faces Greenville in the series finale on Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Derek Sheppard of the Florida Everblades readies a shot against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
(Greenville Swamp Rabbits)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2018
- Cyclones Push Winning Streak to Five - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games - Florida Everblades
- G Komm Recalled to Lehigh Valley; Royals Sign D Armstrong - Reading Royals
- Forward Justin Parizek Placed on Suspension - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Brent Pedersen Receives PTO from Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Norfolk - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Re-Sign Baptista - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia - Allen Americans
- Thunder Adds Former Michigan State Netminder Minney - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Angus Redmond Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jacksonville's Homecoming Spoiled by Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Non-Profit Awareness Night on December 22 - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Utah's 3-1 loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Kalk Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 4-2 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Drop First of Three at Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week
- 'Blades Sign Forward Slater Doggett
- 'Blades Weekly: Single Game Pits Florida against Orlando
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale