Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits gave up the first goal nine minutes into the action, and the Florida Everblades shut the door defensively the rest of the way. Jeremy Phillips made 23 saves, and the Everblades got the win in round one of two of this weekend series 3-0 at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Thursday night. The win extended Florida's standings point streak to 12 games.
Phillips was the story of the game, weathering a third period shot storm, where Greenville pumped 12 shots on goal in the frame, including a furious rally early on. Phillips' save on Michael Pelech's breakaway chance turned the momentum the other direction, and Florida tallied.
On a power play in the third period, one of just two in the game for the Swamp Rabbits, Everblades defenseman Derek Sheppard forced a steal and went in on goal wide on the defense and scored shorthanded to extend Florida's 2-0 lead to 3-0, deflating the air out of the balloon.
Florida struck twice in the opening period thanks to first star and top scorer Joe Cox. Cox started the scoring nine minutes in with his 11th of the season by stickhandling into the offensive zone, pulling up in the high slot, and firing a pinpoint shot past goaltender Chris Nell to start the scoring.
Cox kept the play alive ten minutes later to add insurance. A broken play off of one of his passes found Shane Walsh in the slot, and after his first shot was blocked, Walsh regathered and fired home his sixth tally of the season.
Only six of the game's 60 minutes were played at a man disadvantage, and the two-hour, five minute game was played largely at even strength. The Swamp Rabbits could not get the bounces to go their way on some skipping puck in the blue paint, and the Everblades utilized their defense to shut it down the rest of the way in regulation.
The Swamp Rabbits remain home to play host to the Florida Everblades for Teddy Bear Toss on Friday, December 14 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at SwampRabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2018
- Cyclones Push Winning Streak to Five - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Shut out Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Run Point Streak to 12 Games - Florida Everblades
- G Komm Recalled to Lehigh Valley; Royals Sign D Armstrong - Reading Royals
- Forward Justin Parizek Placed on Suspension - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Brent Pedersen Receives PTO from Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Norfolk - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Re-Sign Baptista - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans to Donate January 11 Game Proceeds to Support Local Toddler Battling Leukemia - Allen Americans
- Thunder Adds Former Michigan State Netminder Minney - Wichita Thunder
- Goaltender Angus Redmond Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jacksonville's Homecoming Spoiled by Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Non-Profit Awareness Night on December 22 - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Utah's 3-1 loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Fall to Nailers 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Kalk Scores Twice for Solar Bears in 4-2 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Saddle Mavericks with 5-1 Win to Open Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Drop First of Three at Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.