Steelheads Open Road Trip with 7-4 Win over Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (26-12-3) turned up the heat 5-on-5, taking a 7-4 win over the Utah Grizzlies (23-12-4) on Monday afternoon from Maverik Center.
The Steelheads jumped out to an early lead at 5:50 of the first period when forward Steve McParland hopped around a check at the right circle and fired a shot under the crossbar to take a 1-0 lead. The Grizzlies scored two-unanswered on the power play at 7:13 from forward Caleb Herbert followed by another by forward J.T. Henke at 12:31, taking a 2-1 lead. Just under one minute later at 13:25, Steelheads defenseman Jeff King found the answer back on a rebound from the right post to tie the game, 2-2.
The momentum continued into the second period for the Steelheads with three-more unanswered goals. At 4:54, Steelheads forward Tanner Froese fed forward Spencer Naas in a 2-on-1 rush for an open one-time shot in the left circle to take back the lead, 3-2. Steelheads defenseman Clint Lewis followed up with a wrist shot from the blue line that skimmed through traffic at 8:23 to double the advantage, 4-2. Then, at 9:15, Steelheads defenseman Nolan Gluchowski made quick work of the Utah defense by handling through two players then the netminder to triple the lead at 5-2. The Grizzlies came back with two goals at 16:38 from forward Joey Raats then another by Herbert on the power play at 19:15 to cut the lead to one, 5-4.
The Steelheads found two more goals in the third period to ensure the victory. At 5:58, McParland earned his second of the day on a rebound in the high slot to open up the lead, 6-4. Then, at 17:31, Steelheads forward Brad McClure sealed the 7-4 win with an empty net goal from his own zone and put the game out of reach.
Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (5-3-1) turned aside 23 of 27 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Joe Cannata (11-8-3) saved 18 of 24 shots in the loss. The Steelheads open a two-game weekend against the Wichita Thunder on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 6:05 p.m. fro, Intrust Bank Arena. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2019
- Vanwormer Nets Two Goals in ECHL All Star Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eastern Conference Wins 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Outdoor Hockey Returns to Fifth Third Field - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-4 Loss to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 7-4 to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Open Road Trip with 7-4 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 21 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Back from the West; IceMen up Next - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Wins Thriller in a Shootout 2-1 over Jacksonville for Fifth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- SC Announces Transactions to Start All-Star Break - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Acquire Goaltender Gordon Defiel in Trade with South Carolina - Indy Fuel
- Royals in Playoff Positioning Heading to All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: from a Nor'Easter to a White Out - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, January 21st - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Homestand Ends Today - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Break for ECHL All-Star Classic - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Weekly: Shootout Victory Sends Wings into All-Star Break on High Note - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacDonald and Hora Head to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 21 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Recalled to Texas Stars
- Steelheads Host Home Opening Weekend this Friday & Saturday
- Tomas Sholl Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener