Royals in Playoff Positioning Heading to All-Star Break
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, are in the midst of a six-day break as teams around the league prepare for the CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic Monday in Toledo, OH. The Royals representative, Steven Swavely, is on recall to Lehigh Valley and will not participate. Swavely is one of seven Royals players to earn a call-up to the Phantoms this season. Earlier Monday, defenseman Frank Hora and forward Josh MacDonald were bumped up to the Phantoms. MacDonald leads Reading with 18 goals and scored a pair last week.
Reading has 42 points, tied with Brampton for the fourth and final playoff spot in the North Division. The Royals will return to action at Wheeling Sat., Jan. 26 at 7:05 p.m. after the break.
Royals upcoming home games
Reading hosts Maine on Wed., Jan. 30 at 7:00 p.m., featuring a postgame player autograph session, pres. by Rieck's Printing.
On Sat., Feb. 2, it's Marvel Superhero Night with the Royals vs. Manchester at 7:00 p.m. and the Royals will wear Black Panther jerseys.
17-14-3-5, 42 points, T-4th North
Newfoundland - 56 points
Adirondack - 49 points
Maine - 43 points
Reading - 42 points
Brampton - 42 points
Manchester - 40 points
Worcester - 39 points
Jan. 16 vs Manchester: L, 3-1
Jan. 18 vs: Brampton: L, 3-1
Jan. 19 vs Wheeling: L, 4-3
1) Komm's return
Branden Komm was returned on loan to Reading last week after a month-long stint in Lehigh Valley. He played two games last weekend, allowing six goals with a .909 save percentage. It marked Komm's first starts with Reading since November.
In his first game back Friday vs. Brampton, he made 33 saves (2 GA, loss). In 12 games this campaign, Komm (5-3-1-1) with a 2.67 goals against average and .920 save percentage.
2) Weekend Preview at Wheeling
Saturday marks the sixth installment of an eight-game series between the Royals and Nailers. Reading is 2-2-0-1 in games against Wheeling this campaign. In the most-recent iteration Saturday, Reading forward Chris McCarthy recorded three assists in a 4-3 loss. He paces the Royals with six points (1g) against Wheeling. Josh MacDonald has netted three goals and dished two helpers in the season series. Nailers forward Troy Josephs scored two goals and three points on Saturday and tops Wheeling with seven points (4g) against the Royals.
Goalie Branden Komm in 1-1-0-0 against the Nailers, conceding six goals in two games with 59 saves on 65 shots. Wheeling netminders John Muse (4gp) and Jordan Ruby (1 GP) combine for a 3.00 goals against average and .913 save percentage vs. Reading this season.
3) Quick numbers watch
Nick Luukko has played in 241 games with Reading, four short of tying Yannick Tifu for the third-most in team history. Chris McCarthy's three-point effort Saturday evened him with Ben Gordon for fourth on Reading's all-time points list (144 pts.).
Regular season team leaders
Goals: Josh MacDonald (18)
Assists: Chris McCarthy (29)
Points: Chris McCarthy (38)
PIM: Adam Marsh (42)
+/-: Steven Swavely (12)
Monday - OFF - All-Star Break
Tuesday - OFF - All-Star Break
Wednesday - OFF - All-Star Break
Thursday - OFF - All-Star Break
Friday - Practice TBD and team travel to Wheeling
Saturday - Game 7:05 p.m. at Wheeling
Sunday - OFF
Monday - TBD
Royals Radio Recon: Next Show Tues., Jan. 22
Live from Jimmy G's Railroad House from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Meet Royals players at Jimmy G's Railroad House, 152 Woodrow Ave., Sinking Spring, PA. Listen on mixlr.com/ReadingRoyals or via the Mixlr App.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2019
- Vanwormer Nets Two Goals in ECHL All Star Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eastern Conference Wins 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Outdoor Hockey Returns to Fifth Third Field - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-4 Loss to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 7-4 to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Open Road Trip with 7-4 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 21 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Back from the West; IceMen up Next - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Wins Thriller in a Shootout 2-1 over Jacksonville for Fifth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- SC Announces Transactions to Start All-Star Break - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Acquire Goaltender Gordon Defiel in Trade with South Carolina - Indy Fuel
- Royals in Playoff Positioning Heading to All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: from a Nor'Easter to a White Out - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, January 21st - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Homestand Ends Today - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Break for ECHL All-Star Classic - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Weekly: Shootout Victory Sends Wings into All-Star Break on High Note - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacDonald and Hora Head to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 21 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.