Atlanta Wins Thriller in a Shootout 2-1 over Jacksonville for Fifth Straight Victory
DULUTH, GA - The last Gladiators' game at Infinite Energy Arena was an exciting affair, but the home team managed to top that performance with a shootout win over the Jacksonville Icemen in Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. Day matinee. Justin MacDonald tied the game in the third and Nick Bligh netted the winner in the shootout to give Atlanta their sixth win in their last seven games.
On the heels of a long road trip, the visiting Icemen were pressured early by the streaking Gladiators. Despite the shot advantage and power play opportunity, the home team failed to capitalize in the first period. Atlanta's defense clamped down also, holding Jacksonville to a season-low three shots in a period.
Jacksonville earned their first power play opportunity of the afternoon after a cross-checking penalty on Ben Danford. Just :07 seconds into the man advantage, Justin Woods fed Garret Cockerill skating in from the blue line. Cockerill saucered a pass to Cody Fowlie, who blasted a rocket on goal that beat Sean Bonar to give the visitors a 1-0 lead at the 16:37 mark of the second period.
Early in the final frame, Jacksonville had a prime chance to double the lead. Garet Hunt started a 2-on-1 breakaway for the Icemen with Eli Lichtenwald. The latter had a wide-open net thanks to a nifty feed from Hunt, but his tap-in skittered wide of the net to keep the deficit at one.
After continued pressure from the Gladiators, they earned another power play opportunity after a tripping penalty on Jacksonville's Jake Randolph. Off of the initial face-off of the man advantage, it was Joe Widmar winning the puck and feeding defenseman Joel Messner at the blue line. His long-range shot was saved to the side by Berdin, but MacDonald was there on the put-back chance to finally bring Atlanta even with the Icemen.
Both teams pressed to the end of regulation, but failed to find a goal. The five-minute overtime session was one of the more exciting periods of hockey this entire season, with both teams earning great chances while Bonar and Berdin continued to make breathtaking stops.
With the result coming down to a shootout, Nick Bligh netted the first attempt on Berdin who missed on a poke-check. After that, it was all up to Atlanta's spectacular goaltender. Bonar kept Wacey Rabbit, Randolph, and Kris Newbury out of the net to secure the thrilling win.
With the two points, Atlanta earned their fifth straight win and sixth victory in seven games. The Gladiators are lifted to 32 points on the season after the win.
They continue this homestead Saturday, January 26th at 7:35 PM on Star Wars Night when they host the Orlando Solar Bears.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2019
- Vanwormer Nets Two Goals in ECHL All Star Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eastern Conference Wins 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Outdoor Hockey Returns to Fifth Third Field - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-4 Loss to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 7-4 to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Open Road Trip with 7-4 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 21 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Back from the West; IceMen up Next - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Wins Thriller in a Shootout 2-1 over Jacksonville for Fifth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- SC Announces Transactions to Start All-Star Break - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Acquire Goaltender Gordon Defiel in Trade with South Carolina - Indy Fuel
- Royals in Playoff Positioning Heading to All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: from a Nor'Easter to a White Out - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, January 21st - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Homestand Ends Today - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Break for ECHL All-Star Classic - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Weekly: Shootout Victory Sends Wings into All-Star Break on High Note - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacDonald and Hora Head to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 21 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Gladiators Re-Sign D-Man Sean Campbell
- Point Streak Ends in Road Loss to Solar Bears
- Atlanta Signs Two College Players
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout