'Blades Weekly: Back from the West; IceMen up Next
ESTERO, Fla. - Back from their only Western Conference games of the regular season, the Florida Everblades (28-8-5-0, 61 pts.) now prepare for three straight games against the Jacksonville Icemen, a stretch that starts with a home-and-home series on Friday and Saturday this weekend.
This past weekend, Florida squared off with the Mountain Division's Rapid City Rush for the first time in franchise history. Thanks to a pair of dominating performances from rookie netminder Jeremy Helvig, Florida earned four of six possible points in the three-game set to keep their hold on first place in the ECHL in terms of points. Helvig allowed just one goal in two starts in the series and finished with a .979 save percentage en route to two wins.
The Everblades resume South Division play this week with the start of a stretch of three straight games against the Jacksonville Icemen. Through seven meetings this season, Florida holds a 4-2-1-0 record against the Icemen, including an undefeated 3-0-0 mark at home. With Jacksonville currently sitting in second in the division, the 'Blades have a chance to widen their lead in the South Division race.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Jan. 16 | at Rapid City Rush - W, 4-0
Jan. 18 | at Rapid City Rush - L, 2-3
Jan. 19 | at Rapid City Rush - W, 5-1
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Jan. 25 | vs. Jacksonville Icemen | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Jan. 26 | at Jacksonville Icemen | 7 p.m. - Veterans Memorial Arena
Helvig continued his hot streak between the pipes for Florida over the weekend and now has a 10-game personal win streak. That winning streak is the longest by a 'Blades goaltender in the last 13 seasons dating back to the 2006-07 campaign.
Forward Joe Cox, who will represent Florida at Monday's 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic, tabbed his fourth multi-goal and 10th multi-point game of the season on Saturday and is tied for sixth in the ECHL in scoring with 42 points (17g-25a).
Last season's ECHL Plus Performer of the Year, Logan Roe leads the ECHL in plus-minus rating again this season with a +36 mark.
Nathan Perkovich registered the game-winning tally in Saturday's 5-1 win over Rapid City and is second in the ECHL with his five game-winning goals.
The 'Blades have dropped consecutive games in regulation just once this year. With Saturday's win on the heels of the loss on Friday, the 'Blades are now 11-1-1 following either a regulation or overtime loss.
Florida leads the league in both goals for per game (4.00) and goals against per game (2.41). The 'Blades have limited an opponent to less than three goals in six of their last nine games and have two shutouts in that stretch.
The Everblades recorded a shorthanded goal in Saturday's series finale against Rapid City and are tied for second in the league with six shorthanded goals in road games.
Second periods have been synonymous with success for the 'Blades. Florida is a league-leading +30 in goal differential in the middle frame this year, a goal differential that is 14 goals higher than the next closest team.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades: 28-8-5-0, 61 PTS
Jacksonville Icemen: 23-16-1-0, 47 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 22-17-2-0, 46 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 20-17-3-0, 43 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 16-21-2-3, 37 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 14-24-3-2, 33 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 12-19-5-1, 30 PTS
G: Kyle Platzer (18)
A: Joe Cox (25)
PTS: Cox (42)
+/-: Logan Roe (+36)
SH: John McCarron (136)
GAA: Jeremy Helvig (2.19)
SV%: Helvig (.918)
Marvel Night (Jan. 25) - Join the 'Blades for Marvel Night and a Bottomless Popcorn Friday when Florida takes on its in-state rival the Jacksonville Icemen! There will be a special pregame Marvel Feast with Marvel characters Captain America and Black Panther, featuring an all-inclusive ticket with food and drink. Tickets for the Marvel Feast also include an Everblades swag bag. For tickets and more information about the Marvel Feast, contact Ali O'Connor at 239-948-7825 ext. 1500.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online here.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2019
- Vanwormer Nets Two Goals in ECHL All Star Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eastern Conference Wins 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Outdoor Hockey Returns to Fifth Third Field - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-4 Loss to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Fall 7-4 to Idaho on MLK Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Open Road Trip with 7-4 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 21 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Back from the West; IceMen up Next - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Wins Thriller in a Shootout 2-1 over Jacksonville for Fifth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- SC Announces Transactions to Start All-Star Break - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Acquire Goaltender Gordon Defiel in Trade with South Carolina - Indy Fuel
- Royals in Playoff Positioning Heading to All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: from a Nor'Easter to a White Out - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, January 21st - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Homestand Ends Today - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Break for ECHL All-Star Classic - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Wings Weekly: Shootout Victory Sends Wings into All-Star Break on High Note - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacDonald and Hora Head to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 21 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Tanner Jeannot Recalled to AHL's Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Blades Weekly: Rivalry with Orlando Starts up this Weekend
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors