Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede
LINCOLN, NE-Round two of Stars-Stampede kicked off Friday night with Lincoln aiming to win their second-straight and Sioux Falls looking to end a five-game skid.
It was the Stars who came out faster in the first. Lincoln was bolstered again by its top line, who didn't take long to get started, following a three-goal effort last Sunday. Josiah Slavin tallied his fifth goal of the season just 6:17 in, assisted by Caleb Rule and Shane Pinto to put Lincoln up 1-0. The Stars continued to pressure until taking a double-minor for high-sticking late in the first. As usual, Josiah Slavin made his presence known shorthanded, drawing a penalty to cut the second half of the double-minor short on a short-handed rush to the net. His play helped the Stars take the 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Sioux Falls jumped out of the gates in the second, as Jeppe Urup's shot through a screen at 0:48 tied the game at one. The rest of the period was a quagmire of penalties, as both sides took multiple trips to the box. The Stars killed four penalties over a ten minute span of play, and five total penalties in the period to keep the game even at one heading into the third.
The first half of the final frame saw Lincoln dominate, with goals from Josiah Slavin and Caleb Rule to build a 3-1 lead halfway through the period. Sioux Falls responded with impressive grit, netting two scores to draw even off the sticks of Ryan Sullivan and Jami Krannila, forcing overtime. In the extra period it was Krannila forcing the issue again, as the rookie tied up a loose puck in front of the net long enough for Cade Borchardt to streak in and flip the game-winner home.
The Stars will look to respond quickly, as they travel to Waterloo tomorrow night for faceoff at 7:05 pm.
Enjoy all you can eat hockey at single games by purchasing a group of five or more, or grab one of our multi-game memberships to secure the same seat each game. Parking is completely FREE this season!
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.