Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT
Lincoln, NE - Trailing 3-1 with just under ten minutes remaining in the game, the Sioux Falls Stampede rallied to top the Lincoln Stars 4-3 in overtime Friday night at the Ice Box. Cade Borchardt's goal 1:07 into the extra session earned the Stampede (7-5-2) the victory and put an end to their five-game winless streak. Andre Lee, Ryan Sullivan and Jami Krannila all scored in the victory while Jaxson Stauber earned the win in goal with 26 saves on the night.
The Stampede were looking to come out with some quick play early in the first coming off a tough loss the week before in, but the Stars matched their play and gained the first goal of the game at 6:17. Caleb Rule's shots was blocked, but a scramble ensued in the slot and with Stauber down on the ice, Josiah Slavin was able to wrist a shot into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead. The Herd would go on the power play later in the period, but were unable to convert and trailed by a goal heading into the second period. Lincoln outshot the Herd 9-8 in the period.
The Herd came out flying in the second and got on the board just 48 seconds into the period. Jeppe Urup took a shot from the right point that was deflected Andre Lee and past Lincoln goaltender Jacob Mucitelli to tie the game 1-1. The Herd had several opportunities to add to their lead as the period went on with three power play chances, but came up short and the game remained tied 1-1 heading into the third period. Sioux Falls outshot the Stars 9-6 in the period.
Lincoln regained the lead 4:42 into the third when Slavin struck again, this time taking the puck behind the goal and wrapping around into the right circle where he wristed a shot through the five-hole of Stauber. It remained that way until the 10:20 mark when Caleb Rule blasted a shot from the top of the right circle and into the upper left hand corner of the net for a 3-1 advantage. The Stampede showed their never quite attitude though and pulled back within a goal just 38 seconds later when Brian Chambers found Ryan Sullivan open inside the left circle and Sullivan quickly one-timed the puck into the net. The Herd would tie the game at 17:23 when Jeppe Urup went coast-to-coast with the puck spinning and sending a perfect pass down the left wing side for Jami Krannilla who one-timed it into the net to make it a 3-3 game.
That goal would send the game into overtime where the Herd would take it just 1:07 in. Krannilla raced down the right wing boards and into the Stars zone where he chipped it over a defenseman's head and it bounced into the slot where Cade Borchardt came racing in and backhanded it into the back of the net to lift the Herd to the come from behind victory.
Sioux Falls outshot the Stars 32-29 in the game and went 0-for-5 on the powerplay, but a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Stampede return to action Sunday afternoon when they travel to Omaha to face the Lancers at 4:05 PM. Fans can catch all the action live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 105.1-FM, 107.9-FM and KELO.com starting at 3:40 PM.
Images from this story
Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman Ryan Johnson (7) vs. the Lincoln Stars
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.