Storm Stingy at Young Arena
The Tri-City Storm turned away Waterloo Black Hawks power play opportunities right up to the very end Friday night at Young Arena, coming away with a 2-1 victory.
Down a goal, Waterloo spent the final two minutes on an advantage, but all of their chances were snuffed out. That included a bullet by Matt Koopman from inside the left circle, snared with a minute remaining by goalie Isaiah Saville with a clean glove save.
Saville made 33 stops on the night, and the Hawks finished 0-for-6 on the power play.
The game had opened up in the second after the teams combined for just 11 shots on goal in a scoreless first. Three Black Hawks power plays were turned away before the Storm converted their first special teams opportunity at 8:59. Ronnie Attard got all of a blast from the left point for the game's opening goal.
However, a brilliant pass by Mason Palmer led to the equalizer with under two minutes remaining before intermission. Eyeing the net from the right circle, Palmer made a diagonal pass across the slot to Patrick Guzzo cutting toward the crease. Guzzo notched his first USHL goal with one touch on Palmer's feed.
Tri-City got the winner skating four-on-four at 9:57 of the third period. A Waterloo defenseman fell down deep in the defensive zone, allowing Filip Forsmark to set up Connor McMenamin for a shot that squeaked past Jared Moe.
Waterloo hosts another Western Conference foe from Nebraska on Saturday when the Lincoln Stars visit at 7:05 p.m. Fans aged 21 and older can enjoy $2 Coors Light throughout the game. To claim your seats, call the Domino's Black Hawks Box Office at (319) 291-7680.
Tri-City 0 1 1 - 2
Waterloo 0 1 0 - 1
1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-McLane Tc (tripping), 8:25; Kinnear Tc (hooking), 10:44.
2nd Period-1, Tri-City, Attard 3 (Murphy, Jones), 8:59 (PP). 2, Waterloo, Guzzo 1 (Palmer, Drkulec), 18:16. Penalties-McLane Tc (high sticking dbl minor), 1:20; Haskins Wat (tripping), 7:53; Acosta Tc (roughing), 12:08; Engum Wat (cross checking), 12:08; Palmer Wat (cross checking), 12:08.
3rd Period-3, Tri-City, McMenamin 4 (Forsmark), 9:57. Penalties-Attard Tc (hooking), 3:23; Jones Tc (diving/embellishment), 7:02; Paul Wat (slashing), 7:02; McLane Tc (tripping), 8:35; Cassetti Wat (hooking), 9:47; Jones Tc (hooking), 18:00.
Shots on Goal-Tri-City 4-11-9-24. Waterloo 7-15-12-34.
Power Play Opportunities-Tri-City 1 / 3; Waterloo 0 / 6.
Goalies-Tri-City, Saville 8-2-1-0 (34 shots-33 saves). Waterloo, Moe 5-3-2-1 (24 shots-22 saves).
Linesmen-Tony Aronson (67), Cameron McCambridge.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Waterloo Black Hawks Stories
- Commemorative Book Celebrates Hawks' Thanksgivings
- Hawks Add Veteran Goalie
- Hawks Reveal Anniversary Game Logo
- Argentina Commits to Boston College
- Thanksgiving News Next Week